Hickory Smoked/Reverse Seared New York Strips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I bought some awesome looking 2" thick New York Strips for dinner tonite.

Menu
Reverse Seared New York Strips
Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
Salted Cucumber Wedges

The Strips
I decided that I'd smoke them over Hickory and then Reverse Sear in cast iron.
First I dry brined them for 4 hours, then rinsed and tied them tightly into round packages.
I do that so they take more smoke before their IT comes up and it's time to sear them.
Then it is into the smoker at 250° +/- until they reach an IT of 115°, then searing to med-rare temp of 135° and a rest.

ZbTDVx0.jpg

Exx35qf.jpg

The Rings
Slice large onions into 1/2"+ slices, pop out interior leaving outer 2-3 rings
Coat rings with BBQ sauce and Rub, I combined the two and painted it on all at once, more efficient
Wrap in thin sliced bacon, it'll take at least two slices on average
If you like, add more sauce/rub to outside
Smoke, grill or bake at 250°-275° till bacon is rendered and has a nice bite through consistency, 1.5-2 hours
Serve hot-n-fresh

AuOhbGb.jpg

s7AApAi.jpg

dHnPEfg.jpg

Homemade Scalloped Potatoes

6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices (Love my PL8 Mandoline slicer)
2 sticks butter
4C +/- milk
1C +/- flour
4C shredded cheese
1 large onion, chopped coarse
1C+ crumbled bacon
2T garlic, minced
Lawry's seasoned salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425°
Prep the potatoes, parboil until barely tender, set aside
In a large sauce pan melt the butter, add flour to make a roux
Add the cheese and 2C of milk to the roux and melt the cheese into it, add milk as needed to attain the desired sauce consistency (think tomato sauce)
Over med-high heat saute the onions, bacon and garlic till onions are just soft

In a large casserole dish spread a thin layer of cheese sauce, then half the potatoes as a single layer
Spread onion/bacon evenly over this layer, season with seasoned salt
Spread the rest of the potatoes and cover evenly with remaining cheese sauce
Bake till at 425° till top is browned
Serves 10-12
s5BcKKc.jpg

The Finale!

0D0iXeK.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking meal..

How was the rings.
Thanks Adam.

I thought they were really good.
The rest of the family was kind'a unsure about them... Picky, picky, picky.
Only change I made was that I didn't put any rub on the outside as Jeff does in his recipe.
Next time I'm gonna make some with BBQ sauce on the inside and outside and make them spicy hot.

Thanks Adam.

I thought they were really good.
The rest of the family was kind'a unsure about them... Picky, picky, picky.
Only change I made was that I didn't put any rub on the outside as Jeff does in his recipe.
Next time I'm gonna make some with BBQ sauce on the inside and outside and make them spicy hot.

I need to try the rings. Not spicy hot thou.

I need to try the rings. Not spicy hot thou.
Oh yeah, do try them, good stuff!
Whew! Looks great. Especially the rings. Bet you had to hit the recliner after that meal.
Thanks
Yes'sir, I'm sprawled on the couch watching the season premiere of The Walking Dead.
Absolute perfection!!! Those rings are not only creative but off the charts!! Big POINT!!
Thanks
Not my creation, Jeff posted them the other day in his weekly recipe emailer.
Not his either as they've been around for years, but Jeff's email got me salivating, had to make some.

I don't understand why process of tying into circles. Don't you lose smoking surface by making them round?
Looks great and the rings will be tried here soon.
Dale

Only lost a few inches of surface on the side of two of the steaks, the others formed up nicely into rounds, no loss of surface area.
Tying them it makes thicker, takes more time for the IT to reach the desired temp.
Therefore they can take more smoke before I have to pull them and sear them.
And I don't want to cold smoke them, I want the surface temp of the meat to be high so they sear almost instantly in a hot cast iron skillet or on the grill.

Man, you had me biting as soon as you said strip loin and set the hook with the scalloped spuds. Two of my favorites, although med rare is a bit too underdone for me. BUT.....those steaks look fantastic!!
I read about those onion rings in Jeff's newsletter and have been waiting patiently for someone to try them. Looks like now I'll have to give them a whirl.
POINT
Gary

Another great plate CR!
Thanks B1, I just about licked the plate clean... Got dirty looks from the dogs.
Chile, that is some delicious looking beef.
Appreciate it whistech and the Like too.
Yep, damned nice marbling for NYS.
I think these were some Prime that got mixed in with the Choice.
Man, you had me biting as soon as you said strip loin and set the hook with the scalloped spuds. Two of my favorites, although med rare is a bit too underdone for me. BUT.....those steaks look fantastic!!
I read about those onion rings in Jeff's newsletter and have been waiting patiently for someone to try them. Looks like now I'll have to give them a whirl.
POINT
Gary
Woohoo, I caught a Gary!
Guess I'll throw him back to get a lil'bigger.

Thanks Gary for the complimants and Like.
This was my first try at Scalloped Potatoes from scratch and no recipe.
Turned out pretty danged well, heck, my MiL went back for seconds.
Yeah man, when Jeff put those out I had to try them.
Ridiculously Good!

And yet again, another thread from my friend chilerelleno that has me reaching for a towel to wipe my mouth! Boy do those strips look good! We were going to try those rings on the weekend too

Point/like from me

And yet again, another thread from my friend chilerelleno that has me reaching for a towel to wipe my mouth! Boy do those strips look good! We were going to try those rings on the weekend too

Point/like from me
Thank you Nate, appreciate it greatly.
Yes, do try the Rings, yummy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky