Hi from Urbana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

liamog

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hey all,

I'm Liam, used to do my smoking on an electric brinkman, but the heating element blew, and rather than buy a new element, I bought a discounted offset Char-Broil.  I know they aren't the greatest (and judging from the smoke seeping from everywhere while seasoning it, I've got my work cut out), but I plan on modifying and getting the most out of it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Liam

Welcome. Urbana is a great place. I go camping there at least once a year. My best advice for you is to, enjoy what you cook with family and friends. Even if it's not right, I'll bet it still tastes good. Happy smoking.

Welcome. I'll bet that Char-Broil will kick out some good Q. Just ask if ya have any questions, there is usually someone kickin around that'll have an answer. WHB

I have some ideas. One is to have two separate ways of smoking.  One with an electric element similair to what my old brinkman had, and the other using the minion method.  Makes it a lazy smoker, or a full on charcoal/wood.  I like both ideas. 

Also planning on a baffle, and figuring a way to move the chimney entrance.  And some gaskets.  Should be fun.  

My other piece of kit is a STOK Tower grill, that will be getting a custom built cart this spring. Stands out like a sore thumb now, but will look cool once it's done.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Screwed in a board to the metal, so I could add in hooks, and make it look better.  

Added a rope gasket around the side, being held in with high heat cement and some small screws.  Used the cement around all the screws, the useless thermometer that came with and where the chimney is inserted.  Need to have a buddy come over to help make a baffle and set up the reverse flowness.  Will explain my idea for the electric/charcoal combo idea in a little bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky