Hi from Queensland, Australia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome to the best forum on the web. I don’t use a offset so I can’t offer much help there, but there is an incredible amount of info here.

Howdy, Ozynorts. Welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and looking to put that offset to work. I'm not an offset guy either, but there are plenty here so ask any question and you'll get answers.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Hi all, new to the forum and to low and slow.
I have recently bought an offset smoker and am looking for tips and tricks to get the best results.
Welcome from California usa.

I'm a longtime offset smoker, though I don't know that I'm the best teacher here. Post some pics and any info on the smoker. They all operate a little differently.

I learned with a couple bags of charcoal, some wood logs and a few hours every day for a couple of weeks. I still have a lot to learn, but I can mindlessly operate my smoker around 250°f as long as weather is good.

Welcome from Ohio, USA
There is a wealth of information here and some great recipes. Looking forward to seeing some recipes from your side of the world.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Attached is a pic of my smoker. Tried a pork shoulder this past weekend. The flavour was good but not tender. I didn’t have any probes for temp control so I am guessing that was a big part of my problem. Big learning curve but can’t wait to try again.

Attachments

• 66BF6A5B-BAE3-436A-9868-A6C58A87A4C6.jpeg
    66BF6A5B-BAE3-436A-9868-A6C58A87A4C6.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: S-met
Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Welcome to the site from Sunny Arizona!

Nice looking grill there.

A good thermometer is your best friend. If you are going to get one look for one that is Bluetooth or Wi-Fi enabled as it will save a few hundred trips outside to check temps. And get at least a 2 probe so you can do grill temp and meat temp.

John

Reactions: Ozynorts and S-met
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Attached is a pic of my smoker. Tried a pork shoulder this past weekend. The flavour was good but not tender. I didn’t have any probes for temp control so I am guessing that was a big part of my problem. Big learning curve but can’t wait to try again.
Just my opinion...
Your thermometer on your grill is probably crap. But don't worry about replacing as long as it works. The temp at probe level is notably different from grill surface level. I bought 2-3 cheap oven thermometers like this. I checked them in my oven and fridge to confirm relative accuracy then did a few test-runs in the smoker with the thermometers in different positions on the grill to learn the hot-spots and heat distribution. Kept an eye on where the barrel gauge was reading and applied a correction factor to the surface temp. Its not perfectly precise, but good enough.
download.jpeg.jpg

I also bought about a dozen of these (because they were $1 each on clearance, some 220,some 550). Calibrated in ice/heat and a couple kept in travel gear, bbq/garage and kitchen. I also got a cheap ir thermometer for approx heat checks (and other random non cooking needs).
Used these for about 12-15 years before getting an inkbird ibt 6-probe. I still use dial pens more frequently than the digitals around the kitchen but really enjoy the bluetooth on long smokes.
Digital is nice, but these work fine. I'd check meat temps when I mop or tend the fire (45-90 minute intervals depending on lots of things.
61oTFaoeKVL._SX466_.jpg 61jbnfSTRhL._SL1050_.jpg

Reactions: Ozynorts
Good Morning and a Big Ole Welcome from East Texas and the best Forum on the Web

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky