Hey from NE Iowa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skippy997

Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Question how many folks cover their Grease tray with tin foil? Also is everyone using to decrease and clean the outside of their smoker.

Welcome from the nw part of Iowa! Glad you joined us! You can cover your grease tray with foil for easier clean up. What smoker are you using?

Ryan

Welcome from Virginia, but former Cedar Falls resident! What kind of smoker are you using? Usually, yes, foil makes cleaning better. Depending on the smoker I don’t normally degrease outside. For my offset I consider it seasoning. For my pellet pooper or Kettle I just clean with soapy water if needed.

Welcome to SMF!
Most folks cover the grease tray with foil, or just smoke with a pan underneath the meat to catch the juices. Either way works. I do the pan thing.
8E80CF2F-E793-43CB-9626-7FD2AD560206.jpeg

Al

Reactions: JLeonard
I am in North Central Iowa...I use foil for sure...I don't clean or degrease, just vacuum occasionally and scrape grate. Was using a Char Griller (Lowe's cheap version of Traeger) for 4 years...I know, ghetto, but it did ALOT of brisket, ribs, you name it. I upgraded to Traeger...not what I wanted exactly, but it puts out alot more smoke than my old one. My favorite thing to smoke is reverse seared Ribeye...smoke to 120 ish, remove for 10 min, then into cast iron skillet with some butter and garlic. I have to have the crispy ness on the steak so I RARELY do steak on smoker. I will do a spatchcocked turkey again this year. I have smoked turkeys the last 5 years, but I really really love spatchcocking them...quick even cook...

Reactions: skippy997
I am in North Central Iowa...I use foil for sure...I don't clean or degrease, just vacuum occasionally and scrape grate. Was using a Char Griller (Lowe's cheap version of Traeger) for 4 years...I know, ghetto, but it did ALOT of brisket, ribs, you name it. I upgraded to Traeger...not what I wanted exactly, but it puts out alot more smoke than my old one. My favorite thing to smoke is reverse seared Ribeye...smoke to 120 ish, remove for 10 min, then into cast iron skillet with some butter and garlic. I have to have the crispy ness on the steak so I RARELY do steak on smoker. I will do a spatchcocked turkey again this year. I have smoked turkeys the last 5 years, but I really really love spatchcocking them...quick even cook...
Ex plain your technic for reverse sear Ribeye. Sounds tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky