New Member Seeking Advice on electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a bradley smoker. all electric and I love it. The only small issue I have with it is that Bradley uses there own custom wood disc. No one else makes them, so you're kinda stuck. But the disc burn at an interval of every 20 min ( so three disc per hour) and that is great for leaving things alone and letting it go. I've left mine on straight for 18 hours with no problems. Whatever system you want to run just invest in some good temperature probes.

Reactions: GatorAGR
The Masterbuilt MES140B is on sales everywhere right now which makes me suspicious. Several horrible reviews. Is there something wrong with it? I'm looking for an entry level electric to make sausage/jerky. Masterbuilt seems like they own the market so I don't know what to think. Appreciate any suggestions.
Hi there! Sent you a private message/conversation.
In short the MES130B and 140B seem to be the new model rebranded numbers is all. Seem to be the same things we always refer to as MES30 and MES40. They seem to be the all black units, not the stainless with glass window units.

In my private message I break down the behavior of these things so you are well informed if wanting to attempt sausage :)

Thanks! I’ve been smoking with a Kamado Joe for quite a while but want to get into sausages so looking into the electrics. Great forum so far!

Gator,

I went with the Nexgrill Oakford 790 at Home Depot for under $400 and after using it for 3 months absolutely love it.

Reactions: GatorAGR
Gator,

I went with the Nexgrill Oakford 790 at Home Depot for under $400 and after using it for 3 months absolutely love it.
Thank you. I'm looking for a straight electric vs a pellet though. Have you done sausages on your Nexgrill?

Thank you. I'm looking for a straight electric vs a pellet though. Have you done sausages on your Nexgrill?

Gator, I have done sausages, ribs, pork butt, pork loin, whole chicken, and jerky from flank steak. Everything has worked out perfectly. Personally I LOVE the electric pellet grill combined with a thermopen temp probe to double check a couple of sites in the meat. I can get readings, alerts, and control temp with the Nexgrill app on my phone.

IMHO, you both have easy temp control adjustment, and not have to worry about running out of fuel when slow cooking long times at 180-200F

Still researching these things. After reading reviews, I have no idea how Masterbuilt is still in business let alone the market leaders in electric smokers. Pretty much guaranteed that I'd have to rewire the whole thing within months of owning one. Crazy.

Still researching these things. After reading reviews, I have no idea how Masterbuilt is still in business let alone the market leaders in electric smokers. Pretty much guaranteed that I'd have to rewire the whole thing within months of owning one. Crazy.

I don’t know about Masterbuilt, but I can wholeheartedly endorse the Nexgrill Oakford and for its low price I considered it an amazing bargain. I have looked at friends who have Traeger and Weber smokers, and the functionality is the same but much cheaper. Your choice.

My temp variations are at most 10-15F

I also love how well insulated the top is with double metal layers.

I have done several briskets that have been perfect.

I like to add an additional smoker tube to give even more flavor.

Last edited:
I'm surprised, on perusing this thread, that nobody has recommended Smokin-It. In case anyone is still looking, I'll offer my opinion.

I have one of their Model 2 analog units and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for 3 years and it's been stone cold reliable. I've smoked port butts, briskets, ribs, and (hot-smoked) salmon with consistently very good results. It's not cheap even though it's made in China, but it's very well built. It's also very economical on wood chunks. I've smoked large briskets for over 20 hours with just a couple chunks of wood and never had to open the door.

Like any of their analog units, temperature swings can range from 20 to 30 degrees during a cook but I just adjust the "thermostat" to get an average temperature that I'm aiming for, and results are consistently good. If temperature swings bother you, they offer "digital" units to control box temp much tighter.

My smoker can't do "cold" smokes, but they do offer models that can cold smoke if that's something you'd like to do. Someday, I may mod mine so I can cold smoke salmon, but I've got a lot to learn before I go down that road. Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with my Model 2 and recommend it highly.

Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky