Herring Roe. (Baked in My Air Fryer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Herring Roe. (Baked in My Air Fryer)

Now it’s time to nail this down to the best way to make this Canned Herring Roe.
I made Shad Roe every way possible (Fry, Broil, Loose, and Cured), but those were from Fresh Full Sacks of Roe, which are just too hard to get any more!!

So now I have to work with this “Canned Herring Roe”, and it’s busted up quite a bit & packed in water.
I tried the Frying Pan, and that didn’t work out all that great.
Then I tried the Air Fryer, and it was pretty good, but I didn’t put it on Buttered Toast that first time.

So this time I’m going to do it pretty much like I used to do when I broiled Shad Roe in our Kitchen Oven.
The first thing I did was open the can & dump the Roe out.
Then I strained & Squeezed the water out as much as I could.
Then I toasted 3 slices of White Bread, and Buttered them up good, to keep them from burning.
Then I spread the Roe out on a single layer, on top of the 3 Slices of Buttered Toast, on my Baking Pan.
Then I covered the Roe with slices of My Buckboard Bacon, and set my Air Fryer @ 360° for 30 minutes, to keep it going long enough.
After 8 minutes, I removed the Baking Pan & flipped the Roe & the BBB over, and put it back in.
6 Minutes later, I removed the Pan, and removed the BBB, and returned the Pan.
6 minutes later I removed the Pan, and the Bacon, Roe, and Toast was ready to eat.

I used the Roe as sides to a couple of Bacon Deer Cheeseburgers over the next couple nights.

This wasn’t as good as the Shad Roe I used to make, but Pretty good for Canned Roe of any kind.

The Bacon Deer Cheeseburgers were Darn Good Too!!

Thanks for the Visit !

Bear

One can of "Tidewater" Fresh River Herring Roe:
IMG_5191.jpg

Roe Spread out on 3 Buttered slices of Toast:
IMG_5192.jpg

Then covered with Buckboard Bacon:
IMG_5193.jpg

Removed & Ready to Flip:
IMG_5194.jpg

Flipped Roe & BBB, and put back in Air Fryer:
IMG_5199.jpg

Removed BBB & put back in to finish Roe:
IMG_5200.jpg

Baked Roe on Toast & BBB, as sides with a Deer Cheeseburger:
IMG_5201.jpg

Next Night, Frying the rest of the pack of BBB:
IMG_5202.jpg

One more meal of Deer Cheeseburger, Herring Roe on Toast, and BBB on the side:

IMG_5204.jpg

Never had that !! I'd sure give it a try

Gary

I've never tried fish eggs John so I'm pretty much clueless on that account. That BBB sure looks fine to me, I'd have topped off that deer burger with it, Like! RAY

I'm with Gary and Ray...never had roe but that looks fantastic Bear!! I certainly wouldn't turn down a plate of it. Nice job sir!!

Robert

Never had that !! I'd sure give it a try

Gary

Thanks Gary!!
I'd bet you'd love it, if I made it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice but I'm sure not as good as fresh.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
Yup, not like Fresh Whole Shad Roe, but if I can't get it, I gotta make do.
This canned stuff is not too bad.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I've never tried fish eggs John so I'm pretty much clueless on that account. That BBB sure looks fine to me, I'd have topped off that deer burger with it, Like! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Now---Next time (in Spring) you catch a Bluegill, Pearch, Bass (LM or SM), Sucker, or most any other Fresh Water Fish that is carrying a couple sacks of Eggs, very carefully. Then remove them from the fish, in one or 2 pieces. Then mix a little salt in some cold water, and put the Egg Sacks in there over night in the Fridge. Then the next day rinse them real good & put them in a bowl of cold water without Ice, for a few hours.
Then drain them & pat them Dry.
Roll them in flour & Fry them in a little oil or Bacon Fat.
My favorite is to Fry some Bacon, remove the Bacon, and Fry the Roe in the Bacon Fat.
Put a lid on in between flipping, because these things like to imitate gun powder.
Get them done, but don't burn them.
Lay them on paper towels to drain.

Eat Slowly, so they last long enough to taste!!

BTW: Thanks for the Like.

Bear

looks like quite the meal bear, you'll have to get to the Delaware for some fresh shad roe.

Thank You Jim!!
Yup, I can't handle Delaware River fishing any more, but My Dad & I used to catch a few, back when I was in my Late Teens & Early 20s. The Shad were terrible, but the Roe was Awesome!! Same thing with the +20" Suckers we used to catch every Spring, near the river. We'd harvest the Roe, and give the Sucker bodies to my Grandpop to rototill in his Veggie Garden.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky