Here goes nothing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scubohuntr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
Montana
Okay, I picked up a 9 pound belly at Costco today. Applied a dead-basic dry cure right off the Digging Dog calculator. I'll be putting it in the grill with the AMNPS on New Years Day, or thereabouts. I might put together some summer sausage next weekend to keep it company in the smoker. Hopefully I'll have pics to post in a few weeks.

12 days in the cure, flipping daily.

A day and a half uncovered in the fridge to form a pellicle, then into the grill with the AMNPS

The AMNPS worked flawlessly, once I broke down and used a propane torch to light it as the instructions said. It burned for about 9 hours. Temperatures in the mid to upper 20's. I was hoping for a bit more color than I got.

I was worried that I didn't get any smoke on it, until I left it in the refrigerator uncovered for an hour or so before I wrapped it up.
wife.gif
 Yup, it's smoky.

Probably should have waited a couple more days to try it; needs a bit more mellowing.

Looks like your first belly was a success!

The longer it sits the more mellow it'll get.  If you want more color, you can cold smoke it longer.

Awesome. I am hooked on homemade bacon now. My family wants more Jalepeno flavored. I will be building a smokehouse in the back yard this summer.

Don't fret about "color". Taste is the test. I've had the same "The refrigerator smells like smoke!!" comment. They get over it :biggrin:

Welcome to homemade bacon!

LOL I get that "the refrigerator smells like 'insert smoked\fresh meat here' all the time.  I thinks it's getting to the point that when I don't have something in the fridge, she thinks something is wrong, cause it doesn't 'smell right'  Point from me for your first bacon !

HA! It's a good thing the smoke smell doesn't get into the beer on the top shelf--not that a good Rauchbier isn't good but smoke is not good with all styles.  Welcome to the bacon crazies group!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky