HeMan Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
add water to a large pot
Going back to write everything down, these are the only changes I would make. Instead of water I'd use beef broth and ILO salt, I'd use a dollop of BTB beef base. Outside of that, I love this concept and plan to keep it the same.

Robert

Reactions: tbern
Boy howdy, that soup would warm you up fast on a cold nippy day! Nice job on bringing some over to your folks too, bet they were pretty darned happy with their boy. RAY

That is truly comfort food for sure. It looks awesome. I'm with Jim in that some cornbread would be great with that.

Dave

That looks and sounds fantastic!! There sure has been a run recently on comfort food threads, and this is yet another in a great line-up of spectacular food. Thanks very much for posting this. It's right up my alley!!

Robert
thanks Robert!! yes so many excellent comfort food threads and i enjoy them all!!

Going back to write everything down, these are the only changes I would make. Instead of water I'd use beef broth and ILO salt, I'd use a dollop of BTB beef base. Outside of that, I love this concept and plan to keep it the same.

Robert
Robert, so many different options to go with this, and I like your ideas too! thanks for sharing !

Boy howdy, that soup would warm you up fast on a cold nippy day! Nice job on bringing some over to your folks too, bet they were pretty darned happy with their boy. RAY
thank you Ray!! doesn't hurt to do something nice this time of year to try and get back on Santa's nice list.......

Robert, so many different options to go with this, and I like your ideas too! thanks for sharing !
Yes , but ,,,,,, the tomato / water base is what makes it what it is .
Adding beef broth gives you something else .
Not trying to steal your thread bern , but you can feel me on this . I've been eating this style of soup my whole life . It's so good done as is .

Reactions: indaswamp
Yes , but ,,,,,, the tomato / water base is what makes it what it is .
Adding beef broth gives you something else .
Not trying to steal your thread bern , but you can feel me on this . I've been eating this style of soup my whole life . It's so good done as is .
i also make a version like you are speaking with the beef broth instead of the water/tomato paste base. i like to use stew meat if i have it on hand or hamburger again if not. i will add barley into the list of ingredients with it too and sometimes cabbage also.
i have a habit of rarely making things the exact same way twice in a row, which can be both good and bad i suppose.

Looks and sounds delicious! Yesterday was a great soup making and eating day! It didn't happen and wasn't cornbread but some homemade rolls were mentioned at our house yesterday!
I'm just curious...can we trade with JLeonard JLeonard chilly 26 degrees? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard and tbern
thanks Ryan! oh man, homemade rolls sound so good too!! lol, would love to get the 26* temps. with some sunshine maybe it would get some of the horrible ice off the powerlines and trees that we got from the ice storm last tuesday. it looked like a tornado went threw everybodys farms or towns with all the big limbs and branches down.

Population 650,000
Power outages: 60,000+
Snow accumulation: 6" of wet heavy snow. Not sure about the southern part of the state.
Casualties: My ten year old snow blower bit the dust.

We missed most of this Nor'easter in Northern VT, but the mid and southern parts of our state got hammered with heavy wet snow. A good hearty soup was welcome in a lot of households.

Chris

Wifey makes hamburger soup several times per year...doesn't have to be cold outside either for us....heck it don't get that cold here anyway...Ha!

I like this!! Kind of like a stew using ground meat. I've never had anything like it, but now I have another bookmark LOL! I made Haluska (Cabbage & Noodles) yesterday, which also uses bacon and plan on trying this. I'm going to have to make more bacon soon. I seem to be running low :-(
Yep, we're into the time of year that food like this is made for. It was 20 when I got up and it's all the way up to 24 now and I'm not stepping foot out of the house....

Brokenhandle Brokenhandle But...But...But you got to understand we southerns aint as hardy as you northen folk. It gets close to freezing and we get miserable! LOL!
Jim
We aren't all thar tough either Jim...just add about 10 pounds of heavy coats and coveralls! Sadly it's 9 degrees out, sunny and no wind...feels pretty nice out!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Population 650,000
Power outages: 60,000+
Snow accumulation: 6" of wet heavy snow. Not sure about the southern part of the state.
Casualties: My ten year old snow blower bit the dust.

We missed most of this Nor'easter in Northern VT, but the mid and southern parts of our state got hammered with heavy wet snow. A good hearty soup was welcome in a lot of households.

Chris
Sorry about your snowblower, time for a Christmas present to yourself maybe??
Power outages are never good! By some miracle, we didn't lose power with all the ice and winds! Won't be happy till all the ice falls off the lines though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky