Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottyk

Original poster
May 23, 2013
Baltimore MD
I may have ruined 2 racks of ribs. I started some spare ribs then got a call I needed 2 more racks for a party. Not thinking I grabbed 2 new racks then put them on the top rack in my WSM then transferred the 2 racks that have been smoking for an hour to the bottom rack. Did I essentially ruin the bottom rack since the uncooked ribs were put above?

Likely not. If you're really worried, just move them to the top rack and you're fine. since they've only been on for an hour everything will end up coming to a safe temperature anyway. Meat drippings aren't' poison. Only real problem would be if uncooked meat dripped on meat that was finished and about to come off the smoker.

Thanks, I just don't want to make anyone ill so I'm kind of extra careful I figured since it still had a few hours of cooking time I would possibly be ok

Even if it was Chicken over the Ribs, there is no issue. The juices are dripping on Ribs with a surface temp of 225°+. Any Bacteria in the juices are Insantly killed...It is not a Safety issue but it is more of a YUK factor having raw meat Juices dripping on cooked or nearly cooked meat...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky