Help with these steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have been asked to smoke these steaks for a party on Sunday.

PXL_20230527_171925349.jpg

The situation is complicated and I'm not positive I know how to handle it. After I agreed to do it and after I bought them I was told that the steaks were to be seared after a salmon is cooked on the grill.

At the party there is only one grill and a salmon will be cooked on it first.

My plan was to smoke the steaks to about 110° internal, wrap them in aluminum foil and towels and put them in my cooler to take to the party. When I get there, on the grill for a reverse sear, then onto the table for eating.

Now; I don't have any idea how long the steaks will sit before the reverse sear can start. I live about 15minutes from the party, maybe I should wait until the salmon goes on the grill to take the steaks to the party.

The steaks will be smoked on the RT 1250 in extreme smoke, and I'm thinking it will take about 3 hours to get to 110°.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Part of me thinks maybe I should tell them with the new information itself meat won't be safe, or it will be overcooked.

Timing is definitely the issue... I don't ever do fish on grill or smoker but doubt they would take long. But the fish will get cold faster than for you to finish your steaks. Look forward to seeing what others say.

Ryan

Salmon can’t take that long. Tell them if they want steaks to reverse the order. Smoke your steaks to 110, wrap as you said and take to them , reverse sear it on the grill they should have hot for you, hold them in cooler and immediately cook the salmon which should take long. Not optimal but I think that’s how I’d tackle it.

I wouldn't want to sear on a grill that had just cooked salmon myself .
Hey , if I was only 15 minutes from the party I think I would do it 100 % at home . 15 minute drive = 15 minute rest .
Real problem is , who only has one grill ? That's crazy .

Why were you told the steaks had it be seared after the salmon was cooked. Is the salmon to be used as an appetizer? Are you expected to cook the salmon also or will it be done by someone else? Just trying to understand. I agree with Rich, do it 100% at home. Yeah, one grill is a pain!

It does kinda sound like party hosts need to meet some enablers! :emoji_blush:
I might know 1 or 2!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Why were you told the steaks had it be seared after the salmon was cooked. Is the salmon to be used as an appetizer? Are you expected to cook the salmon also or will it be done by someone else? Just trying to understand. I agree with Rich, do it 100% at home. Yeah, one grill is a pain!
The steaks are an after thought, the salmon is the main course. Someone else is cooking it. The person who owns the grill doesn't even know how to use it. It is for guest chef. Salmon is cooked in it often.

Reactions: JLeonard
I wouldn't want to sear on a grill that had just cooked salmon myself .
Hey , if I was only 15 minutes from the party I think I would do it 100 % at home . 15 minute drive = 15 minute rest .
Real problem is , who only has one grill ? That's crazy .
Best option so far. Now all I have to do is drive wife to the party and come back home to get the meat ready.

I can do a prime rib in 3 hours easy, your looking at 1 hour or so on those steaks max

If those are the only two, and they look damn good, you'd be doing them a favor by dropping the wife off, going home, cracking a cold one, and cooking them however you please. How you gonna feed a party with two steaks? They're not loaves and fishes......unless you're.....

I agree with the others. Cook them at home then bring them over. or drag your grill to their house and cook it there.

This is the perfect reason why Weber made the little smoky joe…. Go over early, get a glass of wine maybe a few slices of cheese while the coals are getting hot and sear away….. otherwise cook at home or smoke at home and then use the broiler in the house to sear them. Heck after they are smoked, just a 425 oven till 135 would make them money!

Last edited:
The steaks are an after thought, the salmon is the main course. Someone else is cooking it. The person who owns the grill doesn't even know how to use it. It is for guest chef. Salmon is cooked in it often.
Have someone bring a Weber kettle to do the steaks over wood coals, problem solved.

Reactions: Nefarious
Wally World has a knock off 14.5 smokey joe for $15. If you only get a few uses out of it, you got your money's worth. I will say that I would buck up for the Weber if you want to spend more. Those little things are freaking awesome if you're only grilling for 1, or 2. VERY easy on charcoal, and hey, it's a Weber!!

This is the perfect reason why Weber made the little smoky joe…. Go over early, get a glass of wine maybe a few slices of cheese while the coals are getting hot and sear away….. otherwise cook at home or smoke at home and then use the broiler in the house to sear them. Heck after they are smoked, just a 425 oven till 135 would make them money!
I have thought about getting a small portable smoker but could never justify it. Now I know why people get them. I thought they would be good for tailgating, but we never do that.

It turns out the party was at BIL house so on the way there, with wife holding the meat in her lap, she asked why don't we get a portable smoker to make this easier. I of course said, that's a good idea, why didn't I think of that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky