Help with Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spenc123420

Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Can anyone help me with cold smoking venison bologna. What is the right temps to do this an humidity temp thats good i read around 40f is good an anything hight from 40 an between 120f is the danger zone. Then i read that you want to cold smoke between 60 an 80f. Can anyone help me with temps?? Right now i have it hanging in smokehouse i used #2 anthonys cure salt with the other spices in the meat an is 40f in the smokehouse with humidity around 75. Any help would be great thanks

Sounds good... Using cure#2, you can smoke at 70 deg. F no problem... It has nitrite and nitrate in it... Humidity is good... Make sure the casing is dry to the touch.. You do not want condensate to form... Keep the smoker above ambient... That also will allow for good draft... Are you then going to allow the bologna to dry out... like lose 35% of it's weight....
Cure #2 is generally used for meats that will not be cooked... Dry aged for months to lose moisture...

Thanks that helps alot very new to this an would like to start cold smoking everything lol. I will be drying the meat after. my buddy makes it an says he smokes it 2-3 weeks at cold temps untill pink is gone in meat an then hangs for 3-5 days.

This is my smoker. Im struggling to keep it over 32 deg f at night here in northeast pa temps are in the 0 to 10deg day an night.

Attachments

• 20171222_123440.jpg
    20171222_123440.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 37
  • 20171224_163406_1514151341445.jpg
    20171224_163406_1514151341445.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 36
Using cure#2, after the first fight with bacteria, and the nitrite wins, the nitrate takes over the battle but it needs good bacteria help... That happens when the meat is around 50 deg. F so the good bacteria can grow slowly... Hanging in the smoker, that will dehydrate the meat just fine... Also the cold weather with low humidity, will dehydrate the meat... Sounds like you are doing just fine...
Nice smokehouse...

Awesome thats a great help. Thank you have you ever cold smoked snack sticks? 95% of what i find on them is all hot smoked

It's not wise to mix and match methods... Serious health concerns from food borne pathogens is a real possibility...
I'm not sure where this is going so.... I can't give you an answer...

Cure #2 is used for dry curing and it requires the use of bacterial cultures to metabolize the nitrate into nitrite. It is important to know the difference between the two. Cure #1 is used for smoking whether it is hot or cold smoked. As per your temperature, keep it below 70F for cold smoking. 75-80% humidity.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky