Greatest Intro Ever...Rush

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Got my 4 year old grandgirl introduced to Rush...
IMG_3586[1].jpg

IMG_3589[1].jpg

She really got into the video and watched the whole thing...

RIP Neil...

A friend of mine in highschool won Niels drum kit from Moving Pictures tour, if I remember correctly Neit hand delivered in to Adam, and set it up in his bedroom. This was back in 1982.
He also won us some killer back stage passes passes to the concert.
If my link doesn't work, google win neil perths drum set 1980s.

Edit, neil was supposed to deliver the drums but supposedly got sick, so his tech was the one that delivered then.
I forgot that part until I read it.

Last edited:
A friend of mine in highschool won Niels drum kit from Moving Pictures tour, if I remember correctly Neit hand delivered in to Adam, and set it up in his bedroom. This was back in 1982.
He also won us some killer back stage passes passes to the concert.
If my link doesn't work, google win neil perths drum set 1980s.

Edit, neil was supposed to deliver the drums but supposedly got sick, so his tech was the one that delivered then.
I forgot that part until I read it.
Now that's really cool...

Reactions: forktender
So cute! Rush is a solid band, character-wise to introduce a child to. I am a fan mostly of their more straightforward earlier stuff. They got a bit ethereal for me as they aged. Too intelligent! I like my music to mean something, but get to the point!

For me, I couldn't consider myself a good guitar player until I could play 2112 Overture and Temples of Syrinx. Funny thing was, once you could do that, you could play the whole album which is all variants of the same chord progressions!...which was fun. Kind of like AC/DC but with nuance. Once you learned a couple AC/DC songs you could play anything on their albums, but Rush's chord progressions changed album to album and were more complex of course.

I carry Rush AND Tool in my music mix. Tool is great, but like Rush, they "tool around" a bit much for me...get to the point! I dont need 15 minute songs that piddle around (like the song zwiller shared...good stuff but I find myself daydreaming and thinking about stuff I need to do and forget I'm listening to a song!). Once I found Audacity and the ability to cut and splice and fade in-out, I rescued many songs that I refused to carry in my mix because they had terribly long intros, outros, bridges, etc.. Some great songs just ruined with ridiculously long drum solos, etc., which were a big thing in the 70's especially. I dont hate drums, but after a minute or two we get it...same with guitar solo's, I think every rock song should have one...but not 5 continuous minutes of one! Of course if you listen to any of the greats like Satriani, DiMeola, etc....it's ALL one big guitar solo! Neither of which I carry in my mix of 1,400+ songs that go with me everywhere. But, outstanding guitarists nonetheless.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky