Help with cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

UphillWillie

Original poster
Feb 19, 2018
Pennsyltucky
Hello, I'm new here and new to the smoking community but where I work I need to become an expert over night. Now that's not going to happen but that doesn't mean I can't try with help. I am looking for a smoker $1,000 or under that is a cold smoker to smoke salt (We use it in house). But I need to produce the most I can at once. I've been looking for a smoker that has a lot of racks and even inputs the smoke from the sides instead of from the bottom. I don't really know where to look so I started looking for the pros that would know and came across this page. Any help is much appreciated.

Uphillwillie, You say "the most you can at once". Is there a max? How often would this happen? I will say smoked salt is yummy!! So is sugar and pepper.

Wow I was not expecting such a huge response haha. Well to start I'm looking to do about 5 lbs a day, but I would like to get that up to about 25-50 lbs a day in about 2-4 months maybe sooner. I checked out those links Sarge thank you I will defiantly be checking into those more toady. Perazzi, I like the idea of a 55 gal drum but I really looking to buy a smoker not build, I am producing this salt for a blend we use in house for food and I want as little cross contamination as possible, but I will defiantly keep that thought in the back of my head when I go to build my own smoker which I feel like might be soon haha. Dave and Cmayna, as for weight right now I would say the max per day would be about a pound but it'll need to increase in the near future. As a max weight overall I would like to be doing about 25-50 lbs a day in about 6-10 months.

Global industrial sells a wide variety of stainless steel cabinets; you might find something suitable there. Being stainless steel should address’s your concerns for cross contamination. No insulated and you would have to figure out shelving without blocking smoke. Also drilling stainless to mount a cold smoke generator and a vent roll be tough going.

All thread with washers and nuts (any hardware store has them) would be good for shelf supports or should I say supports for baking sheets which would hold the salt. You would want stainless or some other material that is non-corrosive to hold the salt. Maybe some grill racks and set non stick skillets on the racks.

Just some thoughts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky