Help smoking "whole ham"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Travolson14

Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
I bought a "whole ham w/ skin on" at my local farmers market. I'd like to smoke it but can't seem to find much info online. I believe it's a "Picnic" cut but I'm not positive. My question first is, what is the cut called? Second does it need to be cured? Any general advice or somewhere you can lead me for info on smoking this cut of pork? Sorry if this is a newbie question!

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_141130.jpg
    IMG_20191123_141130.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191123_141123.jpg
    IMG_20191123_141123.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 22
I agree it's tough to tell from the pictures if it's already cooked or cured. daveomak daveomak or chef jimmyj chef jimmyj will be able to help you out if it's a fresh ham. It kind of looks cured to me, but I'm by no means an expert. In fact I'm by no means an amateur at curing. I'll defer to the experts.

Chris

Welcome travolson14 is that fresh pork straight from the pig? There are many people here that can help you with making a ham. Your jumping into the deep end of the pool here with such a project.
I'm not sure, like I said it came from a farmers market.

It's a Fresh, Uncured, cut of Pork. There is no sign of Smoke or Sock Lines on the Skin. If I was to guess, it looks like a Shank portion of the Rear Leg, Hock removed, cut in half.
A Picnic Shoulder/Roast, lower front leg is a bit longer and not so wide.
A FresH Leg Roast can be Smoked at 225+, to 165 to 190 and Sliced. Or smoke to 205°F and the bone wiggles out, then Pull it.
For a Cured and Smoke Holiday Ham. Check out Pop's Brine or DaveOmak methods...JJ

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks JJ! Does it need to be cured in order to smoke it properly? I was hoping to cook it for Thanksgiving, but sounds like that may not be an option :emoji_disappointed:

For that hammy taste then yes it needs to be cured.

Chris

If you are ok with a Smoked Pork Roast of Pulled Pork, just season it with your Rub of Choice and Smoke at 225°F or higher, as described above. If a Smoked Ham, like a Spiral Ham or classic Christmas or Easter Ham, that folks cover in Pineapple, Cherries and Brown Sugar, then Bake, is what you wanted, this isn't it. daveomak daveomak has some good info of Curing Ham and he may have a procedure for getting it Cured by Wednesday...JJ

You would have to inject literally every cubic inch of that @ 1/4" penetration per day with the cure solution and MAYBE you would get something in the direction of a flavor of a ham. But as mentioned above you'd have to have gotten started like 5 mins ago lol.

I think this is the better price of advice:

You might make Christmas or New Years with that nice piece of meat if you start ASAP.

You're actually well within the window for either of those days providing you get to it.

Does anyone have a link to a method they recommend? I know JJ mentioned a few earlier but I couldn't seem to find what he was referring to. And once again really appreciate the help!

Reactions: Travolson14

This makes very good ham but not sure it would be done by T day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky