Home Cured Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
I'm getting a hog from a local grower in April. This farmer raises hogs old school (not confinement) and special feed. I've had his hogs before and they are much richer than store bought pork. My question is I have never cured a ham. I'm think I can make the normal wet cured ham. But I'm thinking about trying an old school "Country Ham". I would like some advice from anyone that does Country Ham. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm getting a hog from a local grower in April. This farmer raises hogs old school (not confinement) and special feed. I've had his hogs before and they are much richer than store bought pork. My question is I have never cured a ham. I'm think I can make the normal wet cured ham. But I'm thinking about trying an old school "Country Ham". I would like some advice from anyone that does Country Ham. Thanks in advance.
Country ham is not as simple as the name suggests. Lots of details in that that have to be just right. And it takes a very long time, 6 months being minimum and 12 months more normal. Here is a great method to make a delicious ham, follow the recipe adjust for weight and it’s guaranteed perfect ham in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the reply, I've been researching it. Looks quite in depth that's why I'm researching it to see if it can be done safely without a lot of special equipment. That said I would be up for any really good Ham recipes. I don't see a link to the recipe you mentioned. I don't like really salty ham, country ham looks like it might be quite salty.

I do all my hams with Dave's injection method . I go 10 to 14 days .

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky