Help - smoking brisket for a large group (120 people)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jones Kim

Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Desperately need your expert advice. We need to feed about 110 to 120 people (homeless shelter). Trying to accomplish doing this with limited budget. Our initial plans are:

- 1/2 lb per person, so doing 5 x 12 lb packer (Costco Prime).
- Using Char-Griller Smoking Outlaw (No other choice).
- Hoping to put 4 on the main and 1 on the warming rack.
- Simple Texas style, salt/pepper, no injection, smoke at 225 F until internal temp reaches 165 F., then Texas crutch until 205 F internal temp.
- pan of water underneath, swapping brisket locations every 2 hours as I spritz with apple juice.
- putting in ice box, transporting to the shelter (about 2 to 4 hours of wait time). Slice right before serving.

Please comment if my plans above are flawed or if corrections are needed. Also have following questions:

- Will I run into issues if I put the brisket side by side touching since I'll have limited space?
- Do I need to anticipate longer smoke time since there'll be 5 briskets in relatively small smoker?
- Any tasty / inexpensive side dishes to recommend? Thinking of pickling Red Onions, Chili, Rice, and perhaps white bread.

We really want to provide a tasty meal since the homeless are constantly fed the usual boring food. Again, we have a very limited budget from our church, thus need to be efficient. Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jones
Riverside Community Church
Elmwood Park, NJ

Last edited:
you will add time every time the door opens,allow plenty of free time as the meat can rest in a cooler till slicing but if not done you have problems,good luck and mighty nice of you all

I’ve never cooked that many at one time as I’m not geared to pull it off. However, if I were called, I would have to smoke them in shifts until the stall, wrap or pan, then oven finish while second shift gets smoked. Your plan to feed those in need should be commended. The Lord blesses us in different ways and He will use you and your God given talent to touch the lives of others. To Him be the Glory.

I would smoke them at 275 and pull them when they are probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.
You better be serving the portions...Or you will be out before you know it.
Agree with Bill pork butts would be a lot cheaper & easier smoke.
Your going to need some help with your smoke and allow your self some extra time.Brisket is done when it is done and can sometimes be unpredictable.

Beans are always a cheap side full pan will feed 65-70. But will have to be done in an oven, only because you have no room.

5 briskets on a limited budget ? You will come in way cheaper with pulled pork or some leg quarters.
Agree. But, just this one time, we want to treat them with great tasting smoked briskets. Thank you for the suggestion.

you will add time every time the door opens,allow plenty of free time as the meat can rest in a cooler till slicing but if not done you have problems,good luck and mighty nice of you all
Well noted sir. There's a firm and strict time frame of when we have to go in and be out of the shelter, so will definitely heed your advice and limit the number of times I open the door. And it's really OUR privilege and a blessing to serve those less fortunate than we are.

Last edited:
I would smoke them at 275 and pull them when they are probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.
You better be serving the portions...Or you will be out before you know it.
Agree with Bill pork butts would be a lot cheaper & easier smoke.
Your going to need some help with your smoke and allow your self some extra time.Brisket is done when it is done and can sometimes be unpredictable.

Beans are always a cheap side full pan will feed 65-70. But will have to be done in an oven, only because you have no room.

Thank you for the correction sir. I was going to probe the thickest part of the point, but will heed your advice and probe the thickest part of the flat.

I believe they've been served pork many times, so want to treat them to great tasting smoked briskets and save on side dishes. And we'll for sure add the beans to our list.

I’ve never cooked that many at one time as I’m not geared to pull it off. However, if I were called, I would have to smoke them in shifts until the stall, wrap or pan, then oven finish while second shift gets smoked. Your plan to feed those in need should be commended. The Lord blesses us in different ways and He will use you and your God given talent to touch the lives of others. To Him be the Glory.

If I finish in oven, will it compromise the taste? Really want to treat them to great tasting briskets. Thank you for your encouraging words. It's truly a blessing to serve the less fortunate. All glory to Him.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky