Help required from across "The Pond"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Norm,

Clad you you found this site as there's very few UK sites.
Most of my smoking has been cold with oak sawdust, smoked salmon, wildfowl which i then cook in the oven.
Finding this site has got me hot smoking with my 1st brisket last week, 10 hours.
I went for the gas option as this won't kill you!
Apple wood is good & readily available here in the UK. A thermometer is a must for poultry & long meat smokes. If you do a UK brisket with q-view you will have job convincing them over the pond its not pork
confused.gif

fenman

I enjoy a Dirty Dick on occasion LOL! You old bodger you! ain't it fun tho?

As far as the insulation... think it's needed? I'd think you have more than enough heating capacity, and with the brick...

Norm, if it were me, I would use the element to heat the smoker as well as light the wood. Take a metal pan and just simply lay it on top of the element drop you chunks in the pan and smoke. Give it a try and feel free to ask many more questions.

Just to keep you up to date with English barrel sizes:

Firkin = 8 Gallons
Kilderkin = 16 Gallons
Barrel = 32 Gallons
Hogshead = 48 Gallons
Butt = 144 Gallons
Ton = 252 Gallons

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky