Help me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
so my wife thinks my q is too salty.. it isn’t but she always complains. I thinking of giving it all up. And selling all my grills

If she thinks it's too salty, then it's too salty for her. Use less salt when smoking and add salt to your plated portions. It's easy to add salt, it's hard to take it out.

Mike

Yup. My family dont like salt either. Try curing with low salt.

I bet you can find some really good low salt recipes, and gain some good brownie points for going out of your way to please your wife. It’s a win win!

I know my family do most cooking where they add the salt at the end of most everything. I think 2 heads are better than one for testing .
I would reduce everything way back and add on the plate or do a 2 person taste test for final seasoning. Hopefully most recipes you follow will be good average medium seasoned ones.

so my wife thinks my q is too salty.. it isn’t but she always complains. I thinking of giving it all up. And selling all my grills

Some folks, my fam included are more sensitive to "salty" stuff! We all as people taste different things different ways! It may be to salty for her, but IMO... That can be fixed. What type of salt do you use? Do you make your own rubs or go with a commercial rub?

My wife thinks of it as a health issue so even when I don't use salt there is a comment so either she wants me around longer or I don't have enough life insurance.

Salt is a vital part of us and we will always crave it,I forget the % of salt in our body's but its sounds high,I don't salt any thing if a ingredient has salt in it,on rubs I will drop the amount 1/2 of the called for amount but a lot of the rub will run off,my wife use to complain about not enuf salt but she learned to live with it or pu a shaker lol

I have been eliminating salt from my diet for years.
It's very easy to do and after a while you won't even notice, unless you eat something with a lot of salt in it.
Then you won't like the taste.
Al

How long have you been BBQ'ing for her and she just recently let you know? I don't normally use a rub in a traditional sense. I more or less just sprinkle whatever spices I want on the meat prior to smoking. I tend to go heavier on the pepper and garlic with very little salt.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
My suggestion would be to make your own rubs with no salt or salt free. I think like most things, it will take a little bit getting use to but after awhile you will not notice it. Kind of like trying a new IPA. Sounds like you are more frustrated than anything. Try a few rub recipes without salt and see whatcha think before getting rid of everything.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I find the majority of the recipes here and and other sites too salty and I am salty guy... I pretty much use half or less of the amount salt in most recipes. Another thing I am getting a little more scientific about is the amount of rub applied. You might be applying too much rub. Store bought rubs are way too salty for me. My goal nowadays is produce a really pure final product where the smoke is the star. You cannot detect any spice sugar or salt even though I use it. Back in the day I kinda went overboard. Most pics I see posted are much heavier on a rub than I would do. Last butt I smoked I didn't even apply a rub! Now I did inject it with 1% salt (amongst other things) but it was fantastic.

So my thoughts, inject (hide) and no rub. Try sugar to offset the salt. MSG also can help.

Al's right, once you go without adding any Salt for awhile, you'll rarely miss it.

I ate all the salt I wanted until November of 2012, when a Dr caused my Perfect Kidneys to be ruined.
It didn't take long before I stopped missing salt.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky