HELP!! FIRE!! ^&@#

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thats what i get for trusting a lowes employee! I'm just glad it's all good now. If i can get past this dang stall i will be perfectly content lol

Glad you just smoked the smoker. Just think though of the great story you'll now have to share with people for 20 years everytime someone new enjoys your cooking. AND on the first try! The smoked food is great, but it is all the lies we get to tell and hear during the cooking  that makes us want to fire up the pit every weekend. Whatcha mean only 2 inches of rain in the last hour, fire that pit up!

OMG we've conqured the fire gods and heard a good story, I guess you'd want a cold beer too.

Congrats on your smoke house, may you enjoy it for as long as you can remember the tale of the first time you smoked the smoker..........

Last edited:
Another thing you may or may not have been told is that Durock doesn't support mold growth, which is a good thing! Unfortunately wood does. Since you are using a heat source that gives of h2o while it burns watch out for that. A friend of mine lost his year old plywood smoker to mold. He lives Portland Oregon so it's pretty damp. Even though he stored it in his garage he couldn't keep the mold from growing. I had planned to build one for sausage but now I am re-thinking my plan. I may still do it since where I live is pretty dry. I was going to use electric so it might not be as big of an issue, dry heat and all.

Another thing you may or may not have been told is that Durock doesn't support mold growth, which is a good thing! Unfortunately wood does. Since you are using a heat source that gives of h2o while it burns watch out for that. A friend of mine lost his year old plywood smoker to mold. He lives Portland Oregon so it's pretty damp. Even though he stored it in his garage he couldn't keep the mold from growing. I had planned to build one for sausage but now I am re-thinking my plan. I may still do it since where I live is pretty dry. I was going to use electric so it might not be as big of an issue, dry heat and all.
That mold will not eat too much of the meat, that green mold puts color in you teeth......

Man this things killing me I gotta figure this out. It cooks amazing meat but it cant be catching on fire every other day lol

Im gonna line lower half in heat shield. Then durock. Then put fire brick down.

Last edited:
Jac, I have I question.... whats the dinensions on that smoker? Could you have too much heater for too small a box? I have used a propane burner in a cardboard box to smoke a chicken once on a bet. Chicken was juicy, nice color but tasted like wet cardboard.

Could ya maybe set it up like a seperate firebox?

It's based off a bunch of other smokers on here. It's inside is 48in high, 24in deep, 22in wide.

ya dont usually get lucky twice. Now i need to find a way to ensure this stops.
Jackal,  you need an air gap to stop the heat transfer to the wood.....    4" of fire brick laid on wood, the wood will still burn, given enough time... 

Ok so how about this. New floor goes in. Then using metal brackets (screwed into the walls through durock) about an inch off the floor I place a steel mesh grate. On this great a sheet of durock, then the burner? The burner legs are going on now also. I'm going to need to change the wooden runners that hold my cooking grates to metal also since the flame and heat is moving closer to it. I may also line the rest of my walls in durock because now im paranoid.

Man this things killing me I gotta figure this out. It cooks amazing meat but it cant be catching on fire every other day lol

Im gonna line lower half in heat shield. Then durock. Then put fire brick down.
From the base lay a layer of firebrick edge way solid.  Durock on that.  You would be good to go

Last edited:
Ok so how about this. New floor goes in. Then using metal brackets (screwed into the walls through durock) about an inch off the floor I place a steel mesh grate. On this great a sheet of durock, then the burner? The burner legs are going on now also. I'm going to need to change the wooden runners that hold my cooking grates to metal also since the flame and heat is moving closer to it. I may also line the rest of my walls in durock because now im paranoid.
How about replacing the old   slightly used wooden floor (old is not a good word here..... sorry) with the expanded steel grate with durock on top of it ????    Might need a little support in the middle, like 1 brick on end or something ???   Cement board does not have much strength....

Dave

How about replacing the old  slightly used wooden floor (old is not a good word here..... sorry) with the expanded steel grate with durock on top of it ????    Might need a little support in the middle, like 1 brick on end or something ???   Cement board does not have much strength....

Dave

That makes much more sense, your smarter then me lol. Do I need to worry about heat teansfer fron the steel to the bottom of the smoker where its attached? Durock gets really hot because of the burner so the steel is going to heat up. Maybe the air exposure will keep it cool enough.

In assuming there would be no wood floor just steel mesh with durock on it

Last edited:
That makes much more sense, your smarter then me lol. Do I need to worry about heat teansfer fron the steel to the bottom of the smoker where its attached? Durock gets really hot because of the burner so the steel is going to heat up. Maybe the air exposure will keep it cool enough.

In assuming there would be no wood floor just steel mesh with durock on it.... YEP
I assume the expanded metal will only be touching wood on the edges, where it meets the walls of the smoker...  It should not be warm..... It will be sitting in the air with lots of heat exchange capability.....  I figure probably a 2 x 4 above the ground ???   Dave

Yea it would contact the bottom of the walls to be attached. From the bottom to ground is about 2feet. I like this plan

Since the floor will now be steel grate I need to add two braces to the legs to make up for the loss of solid wood floor. There will be 9in from grate to these two beams. Is that enough? I just need the legs sturdy incase I ever move it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky