Help...another AMNPS related thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the advice.

The GMG seem to be a blend. For example the Apple is Red oak, hickory and Apple in thirds.

will do some more digging today to see if there are other brands.
Ive tried a lot of different woods but pecan or oak sounds great with lamb even that oak hickory apple blend would be good. Just my opinion :)

Reactions: Aj33
Unless Monolith does 100% of the wood on the label, then all of your options will be blends.
In the states we have the Lumberjack brand which does 100% of the wood on the label or clearly states otherwise and CookinPellets (only does 3 differnt options and 1 is a blend).

So I think you will have a hard time finding 100% of wood.
The AMNPS can also burn wood dust so that may give you some more options to look at. I think one guy in Philippines was Japan was able to find these little logs of compressed sawdust that may have been 100% of the wood. All he has to do is break them down by hand (they crumble easily). You may have pure dust options or those same logs.

In any case you should have some options and will get some kind of flavors u can play with :)
Yeah Lumberjack isn’t really here. We have cookinpellets. One of theirs looks interesting call Apple Mash.

we have another brand called Smoke Ring.
Here are some of the brands:

Apologies if I am not allowed to link. Any thoughts on those?

Ive tried a lot of different woods but pecan or oak sounds great with lamb even that oak hickory apple blend would be good. Just my opinion :)
Got A-Maze-N pellets at the moment, hickory, maple and cherry blend. Hopefully this will be ok for now.

Got A-Maze-N pellets at the moment, hickory, maple and cherry blend. Hopefully this will be ok for now.
Absolutely, they will be good most people here run a lot of hickory and I do to but my best brisket was straight oak so I've moved away from using a lot of hickory with red meat. You have a great thread here with a lot of info to refer back to. Good luck with that lamb I've never smoked it. You own your tastebuds and I own my opinions.

Reactions: tallbm and Aj33
Absolutely, they will be good most people here run a lot of hickory and I do to but my best brisket was straight oak so I've moved away from using a lot of hickory with red meat. You have a great thread here with a lot of info to refer back to. Good luck with that lamb I've never smoked it. You own your tastebuds and I own my opinions.
Absolutely. Everyone has been great with the info!

I am patiently (!) waiting for a rain free day, we have a serious amount of rain this week in the U.K.

Lamb doesn’t seem to be very popular in the states from what I can tell. Whereas here it’s a common meat.

Yeah Lumberjack isn’t really here. We have cookinpellets. One of theirs looks interesting call Apple Mash.

we have another brand called Smoke Ring.
Here are some of the brands:

Apologies if I am not allowed to link. Any thoughts on those?

I would buy Smoke Ring brand all the way.
They offer 100% of the wood on label unless they state a blend.

I would buy a bag of Smoke Ring 100% Hickory for sure.

Personally I LOVE Maple over Oak but most people go Oak. Here in Texas sooooo many places use Oak that I have been worn out by a lifetime of it.
So I would buy a bag of Smoke Ring 100% Maple as well (but you might like Oak).

Finally I would buy a bag of the Cookshack Mesquite (60% Oak / 30% Mesquite) and use that for beef for sure: https://cookshack.com/products/wd304-mesquite-pellets-20-lbs

100% Cherry is almost impossible keep lit on it's own so if you buy it you will surely blend it with another wood.
You would then be able to do your own blends of Hickory, Chery, and Maple (or Oak).

I'm a fan of buying 100% and being able to blend however I like. MHC is a general competition blend that does really well on most stuff but I like to up my hickory content to about 65% and no more.
My other favorite blend is 75% Apple and 25% hickory for sausage and bacon smoking mmmmm good!

Finally you cant get it, but 100% Mesquite is heaven on beef and mesquite is great on chicken and other stuff as well. The best u can get is a blend anyhow but hey its something :)

I hope this info helps! :D

Absolutely. Everyone has been great with the info!

I am patiently (!) waiting for a rain free day, we have a serious amount of rain this week in the U.K.

Lamb doesn’t seem to be very popular in the states from what I can tell. Whereas here it’s a common meat.

Rack of lamb and pork ribs are 2 way different cuts.
I don't think you want to cook rack of lamb beyond medium where pork ribs u want to cook to where they are approaching fall off the bone but are bite off the bone. The difference in internal temp is like 65F between lamb and pork ribs so I wouldnt cook them the same though you may be able to season them the same :)

Rack of lamb and pork ribs are 2 way different cuts.
I don't think you want to cook rack of lamb beyond medium where pork ribs u want to cook to where they are approaching fall off the bone but are bite off the bone. The difference in internal temp is like 65F between lamb and pork ribs so I wouldnt cook them the same though you may be able to season them the same :)
I have lamb ribs, a full rack.

I was going to treat like pork rib rack.

I would buy Smoke Ring brand all the way.
They offer 100% of the wood on label unless they state a blend.

I would buy a bag of Smoke Ring 100% Hickory for sure.

Personally I LOVE Maple over Oak but most people go Oak. Here in Texas sooooo many places use Oak that I have been worn out by a lifetime of it.
So I would buy a bag of Smoke Ring 100% Maple as well (but you might like Oak).

Finally I would buy a bag of the Cookshack Mesquite (60% Oak / 30% Mesquite) and use that for beef for sure: https://cookshack.com/products/wd304-mesquite-pellets-20-lbs

100% Cherry is almost impossible keep lit on it's own so if you buy it you will surely blend it with another wood.
You would then be able to do your own blends of Hickory, Chery, and Maple (or Oak).

I'm a fan of buying 100% and being able to blend however I like. MHC is a general competition blend that does really well on most stuff but I like to up my hickory content to about 65% and no more.
My other favorite blend is 75% Apple and 25% hickory for sausage and bacon smoking mmmmm good!

Finally you cant get it, but 100% Mesquite is heaven on beef and mesquite is great on chicken and other stuff as well. The best u can get is a blend anyhow but hey its something :)

I hope this info helps! :D
Smoke ring it is - thank you!!

I never mentioned but I don’t eat beef so less of a worry on that front.

I always read that mesquite was very strong, surprised to see you recommend it for chicken. Monolith seem to do a 100% mesquite. I think I am going to go down the SmokeRing route. I hadn’t heard of them before, glad I checked in with you.

I always read that mesquite was very strong, surprised to see you recommend it for chicken. Monolith seem to do a 100% mesquite. I think I am going to go down the SmokeRing route. I hadn’t heard of them before, glad I checked in with you.
i would be careful not to over smoke chicken, chicken takes on a lot of smoke quick, 40-45 minutes of smoke is usually enough for me. just my opinion.

i would be careful not to over smoke chicken, chicken takes on a lot of smoke quick, 40-45 minutes of smoke is usually enough for me. just my opinion.
I have done cherry with wood chips via the chip loader. That went very well. But I take your point and will go light. Thanks.

The beauty of the AMNPS is it provides perfect TBS (Thin Blue Smoke) so no issues managing Mesquite smoke. So when doing large hunks of meat like brisket or chucks, or doing whole chickens it works well. On the chickens you may want to do 2 whole chickens and maybe only apply smoke for half the time or less or blend the mesquite with something like cherry or maple to not get a full strength batch :)

The beauty of the AMNPS is it provides perfect TBS (Thin Blue Smoke) so no issues managing Mesquite smoke. So when doing large hunks of meat like brisket or chucks, or doing whole chickens it works well. On the chickens you may want to do 2 whole chickens and maybe only apply smoke for half the time or less or blend the mesquite with something like cherry or maple to not get a full strength batch :)
Thanks for the ideas. Better start buying more pellets.

shame I can’t use the various wood chips I have in the maze.

Thanks for the ideas. Better start buying more pellets.

shame I can’t use the various wood chips I have in the maze.

Yeah the chips can go to a friend or something else I guess haha.
Once you get a good amount of pellets and variety you won't have to buy pellets for along time. They go a long way in the AMNPS.

Now for your lamb ribs.
If you have this then I would not recommend they smoke/cook over medium rare to medium internal temp. These are like ribeye steaks or pork loin chops, more then they are like pork ribs:
FLAFR004-1.jpg

If the lamb ribs look like the following then I think you can probably cook like pork ribs:
FLDRB002-1.jpg

The following is a picture of pork spare ribs which look nothing like the first lamb picture above:
0021101700000_A?wid=280&hei=280.jpg

So again, 1st pic of lam smoke/cook medium rare to medium.
2nd pic of the lamb I would try like pork ribs which are shown in the 3rd pic.

Let us know which picture of the lamb looks like what you have :)

Second picture!!

the first picture we would call a ‘rack of lamb’ over here. Have that too but saving those for another time.

thank for the help. I will follow pork rib protocol with the 198f probe temp and check for tenderness like mentioned in a previous post.

on the pellets front, not cheap but been in touch with the company I linked earlier and I can mix and match bags. They are out of hickory but I have hickory in the bag I currently have.

think I will go for the mesquite/oak blend from cookshack, maple from smoke ring and the oak, hickory and cherry blend from smoke ring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: tallbm
i would save some chips, there good if your doing a quick hot smoke and you don't want to mess with the amnps,
I have a smoker box from a failed attempt at smoking on my gas bbq. Was going to give that and some of chips to my dad. For his purposes and with his gas bbq it will work out better. Won’t give him all of them. Built up a little stash as well.

Second picture!!

the first picture we would call a ‘rack of lamb’ over here. Have that too but saving those for another time.

thank for the help. I will follow pork rib protocol with the 198f probe temp and check for tenderness like mentioned in a previous post.

on the pellets front, not cheap but been in touch with the company I linked earlier and I can mix and match bags. They are out of hickory but I have hickory in the bag I currently have.

think I will go for the mesquite/oak blend from cookshack, maple from smoke ring and the oak, hickory and cherry blend from smoke ring.

Nice! You will be set once u have a variety of pellets and u can mix, match, and blend :)

No mesquite when I went to order. Replaced with Beech.

It was the first wood I ever used, as chips. I didn’t get much flavour from it but that was due to user error. I remember it having a very sweet smell.

Prepped and marinated the lamb ribs. Went light on the salt as advised.

smoking tomorrow early evening. Hoping they take about 2-3hrs.

Attachments

• 8410CD83-2EC0-4D96-B391-1F20B09051D9.jpeg
    8410CD83-2EC0-4D96-B391-1F20B09051D9.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 9
  • 0A98286B-DAED-40AF-832A-BF8F3E6E352A.jpeg
    0A98286B-DAED-40AF-832A-BF8F3E6E352A.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: tallbm and olaf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky