Hello SMF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swartzster

Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Marysville, WA
My name is Rick, and I'm from Marysville, WA.  I've been using a Traeger Lil Tex Elite for the past 3-4 years and loved it. I decided it was time to go bigger, so I sold the Elite and I am trying to decide between the Traeger Texas and the Green Mtn Jim Bowie.  Any thoughts?   Thanks

Hi Rick, and welcome!  You'll like it here...lots of friendly folks who genuinely enjoy sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  Just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

I don't have direct, hands-on knowledge of either of those rigs, although I did some research on both when I bought a Rec Tec pellet pit earlier this year.  That research led me to the conclusion that there were some who believe the temp controller on the GMG's is a better unit than on the Traegers.  Again, I don't have any direct knowledge...only what I read and heard while comparison shopping back at the first of the year.  I decided the Rec Tec suited my list of 'must haves' better, and I've never been sorry with what I chose.  One thing you could do is spend some time browsing through all the Pellet Smoker threads...lots of those threads are discussions about the pros and cons of different pellet pit makers:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/3141/pellet-smokers

Good luck!  Be sure to let us know what you decide.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hey Red   Love the avatar!  You can never go wrong killing a couple of hours watching Caddy Shack.   As far as the Traeger vs GMG question I asked, I went with the GMG Jim Bowie.  the dealer was out, but I should have it in the next day or two.  Can't wait to try it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky