Hello from the Philly area!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gobrowns

Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Montgomery County, PA
Hello Smokers!

My wife got me a 30" Masterbuilt electric smoker for Christmas! It is the non-digital readout model, I cant thank her enough!!!

I have several questions before I make my first attempt to smoke!

1. I seasoned the unit as suggested per the instructions, and the handful of chips I put in there only lasted about 45 minutes, is that normal? I did soak them (mesquite) for over an hour.

2. My roast, about 5 inches think, 8 inches long and 6 wide, I cut in half length wise and put the pieces in a freezer bag, added the rub and shook the hell out of them to get them nice and coated to sit over night. IS THAT THE OK so far?

3. How long should they take? I was going to smoke them until 160 degrees in a foil pan, adding chips as needed, then put them wrap them in a foil bag with some apple juice until they get to 180 degrees.....GOOD PLAN????

I am really looking forward to this forum and my future smoking adventures!!! 

JIM

First of all Welcome and good on your wife for a great Christmas gift.  On your plan - what kind of roast is it? You do not need to cut any roast that size in half. Depending on whethere it is pork or beef you may need to adjust your final temps. You would not want to take beef that high

Good luck with the smoke

What scarbelly said. We need more info. As for the chips lasting 45 min., that's normal. You will need to add chips every 30-45 minutes to keep the smoke flowing. You may want to look into buying an A-MAZE-N Smoke generator. They are very inexpensive & will keep steady smoke flowing in your MES for 6-8 hours or more, without adding chips. There is a link at the top of the page and the owner is an SMF member. Good luck with your smoke!

Jim,

We have to know what hunk of meat you're talking about, because it could be anywhere from 130˚ to 205˚ depending on what it is. Might be too late by now---You might have started it.

Hopefully the wind will be blowing North, so I can smell it. Born & Raised in Quakertown.

Bearcarver

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Jim to SMF. It sounds like you have a good plan now go smoke it. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Congrats on the MES. I recently got the Stainless 40" model and LOVE it! It is so easy to use and the results are great. I use the Amaze-n-smoker as well, so I do not mess with the chips, but when I seasoned it, they lasted about 40 minutes for me. There is no need to soak them either, doesnt make much difference and keeps extra moisture from getting in to your smoker box. 

Take the E-course, its really help full and post some Q-view of the roast! 

Chris

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky