Hello from the Cayman Islands!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AndresSmokes

Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
Newbie-ish to the BBQ scene. I only started to properly BBQ about a year ago, after wanting to for years. The only sort of BBQ I did before this was cooking seafood over an open fire on the beach after catching it. Now I'm firing up the grill or smoker at least twice a week.

I now have a 22" WSM and 22" Weber Kettle and couldn't be happier with my set up, although I wish I had an offset.

Made this account earlier this year but haven't been active on it. I keep telling myself to go on it more but I've just been busy. Maybe i can change that, there's so much to learn on here and it seems like a great community.

While I'm writing this, I'm currently in the US and want to bring some pieces of meat back home with me for christmas. Everything is so much cheaper here. For example, the last time I chcecked the price of a prime brisket back home, it was $11 KYD which is $13.21 US, I don't even want to know how much it is now. So I need something to carry the meat in. I do want to invest in a nice rotomolded cooler and was looking at the Rtic 45 vs the Yeti 45 and was wondering if the the price difference is worth it? I know Rtic has a 1 year warranty vs Yeti which has a 5 year warranty. Rtic also has an ultra light 52 cooler which is bigger and lighter with more or less the same performance. You guys have any reccomendations?

Welcome to smf, great place here. First I would check the laws about transporting meat. I really dont know if there is any. But I would hate to see you purchase it here just to have it confiscated. I'm sure others will be around to help you out.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Thank you! I'm fine to bring meat back home, as long as its sealed in the same packaging as when I bought it I'll be fine

Welcome from Iowa! And I think either cooler would work... but the yetis are heavy even when empty.

Ryan

Reactions: AndresSmokes
Welcome to the forum. I have the Yeti Tundra 45 and love it. The only draw back is it’s fairly heavy even when empty but it keeps stuff cold for much longer than any other cooler I’ve seen. Good luck

Welcome fellow islander!
You might be better off with some dry ice in a rigid foam container placed in a cardboard box with straps for the "luggage" ride home.

Welcome from Minnesota. I have a Pelican brand cooler. I haul a lot of their stuff as freight and was given a chance to try one. It's awesome and cheaper (a little) than Yeti. I see how the stuff is made, it's good stuff.
Smokerjim... Good looking out there!

Last edited:
Welcome. Have you had the Red Bay Jerk chicken on the way to Cayman Island Brewery? You can't miss it they have two oil barrel grills. Fantastic food. My in laws also like Chicken! Chicken! when they go into the west side of the island

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us and decided to join in. I would suggest you get the RTIC's I have a couple and think they are as good as the Yetti's at less money. I have a 20 and a 65. That is if you want a quality cooler and have use for one as said for a once or twice thing dry ice in a styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box would work.

Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
I agree with the above comments, and if it’s a one time thing, then I would go with the styrofoam cooler with dry ice. I get food delivered here & it comes frozen with dry ice, and it sometimes takes 2 days in transport. It is always still frozen solid.
Al

Hello from Mississippi! I'm with a few others, I'd check into shipping it back to your house from the seller if its an option. Usually comes in a sturdy cardboard box with styrofoam liner and dry ice.
Jim

Welcome. Have you had the Red Bay Jerk chicken on the way to Cayman Island Brewery? You can't miss it they have two oil barrel grills. Fantastic food. My in laws also like Chicken! Chicken! when they go into the west side of the island
Wow! Is Chicken, Chicken still in business? Mid 90's we were going to GC almost every year diving. Made it to Pirate's Week one year

RTIC will work just fine. The money you save you can buy more meat! I'd look at one with wheels, as they are heavy.

Welcome from San Antonio Texas!

My wife & I have visited and dove on all 3 of the Cayman Islands! We got our baby tec certs (ANDI TSD-3) using shore dives from Turle Reef back when DiveTec operated that site, before Cobalt Coast existed. We always enjoyed visiting there, no real worries about petty crime while underwater while making independent shore dives.

Newbie-ish to the BBQ scene. I only started to properly BBQ about a year ago, after wanting to for years. The only sort of BBQ I did before this was cooking seafood over an open fire on the beach after catching it. Now I'm firing up the grill or smoker at least twice a week.

I now have a 22" WSM and 22" Weber Kettle and couldn't be happier with my set up, although I wish I had an offset.

Made this account earlier this year but haven't been active on it. I keep telling myself to go on it more but I've just been busy. Maybe i can change that, there's so much to learn on here and it seems like a great community.

While I'm writing this, I'm currently in the US and want to bring some pieces of meat back home with me for christmas. Everything is so much cheaper here. For example, the last time I chcecked the price of a prime brisket back home, it was $11 KYD which is $13.21 US, I don't even want to know how much it is now. So I need something to carry the meat in. I do want to invest in a nice rotomolded cooler and was looking at the Rtic 45 vs the Yeti 45 and was wondering if the the price difference is worth it? I know Rtic has a 1 year warranty vs Yeti which has a 5 year warranty. Rtic also has an ultra light 52 cooler which is bigger and lighter with more or less the same performance. You guys have any reccomendations?
welcome

welcome

Thank you all for the welcome and tips! I did think about the styrofoam cooler with dry ice and that will be my go to if I decide on not spending money on one of the hard coolers.

Yes, I get it on my way home sometimes, its pretty good. Sadly however the jerk pork has been hit or miss. But for chicken chicken? ahh man I love that place, will grab lunch from there at least once a week.

Wow! Is Chicken, Chicken still in business? Mid 90's we were going to GC almost every year diving. Made it to Pirate's Week one year
Yeah man, they're still open! They've even opened a new location.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky