Hello from Texas... new to electric smokers! Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wrxstig

Original poster
Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

Wife spoiled me and bought me a new Masterbuilt. I assembled it last night and decided to do a batch of pork ribs this afternoon. As I skimmed through the instructions/user manual last night, it turns out I didn’t see the piece about “pre-seasoning” it prior to cooking for the first time. Soooo I have 2 racks of ribs in it now and have been cooking about 2 hours. I did let it warm up and sit at 225 for about 30 minutes before I actually put the ribs in it. Will I be able to eat these ribs or should I throw them out due to not pre-seasoning!? Thanks in advance for anyone who has some insight on my situation.

-Garrett

Welcome to The SMF from Middle TN. I would think you'll be ok since you had it warm for those 30 minutes. You will certainly find out when you taste the ribs.

Reactions: Wrxstig
Welcome to The SMF from Middle TN. I would think you'll be ok since you had it warm for those 30 minutes. You will certainly find out when you taste the ribs.

Thank you and thanks for the quick response. Hope they don’t have any weird taste to them. Have you experienced this before? Would it be obvious? I appreciate your help and knowledge on the subject.

Did you at least wash the grates?

Chris

I don't own a MES so I'm not sure how much machine oil residue is left on the smoker, but since you washed the grates and the meat isn't touching the walls of the smoker I think you should be ok. If your really worried pull the ribs and finish them in the oven.

Chris

Even if they do taste weird, the next ones will taste better. ;)

Providing you survive, that is.... :confused::rolleyes:o_O
Just Kidding... :D

The break in run is intended to burn off any left over manufacturing lubricants, and to smoke the inside of the smoker.
Personally, I would try the ribs. Probably the worst case would be the drizzelin poops, or just some odd taste.

But when you are done, do a 3 hour break-in at 275°, and smoke some chips in it the last 1/2 hour, or hour.
I did several 'break in runs' just to see how it ran.
I do a 275° burn out, and a 275° burn in before smoking. It's to sterilize and dry out the Sm00ker after it has been used (burn out). (It's the daveomak method)
And before smooken, do a burn in run while you are prepping what you are going to cook, and to make sure the sm00ker is up to running, and to sterilize it before you begin.
If you do this, you can always be confident in your Sm00ker being clean, dry, and ready for you to smoke/cook with every time.

Some who live in dampish climates, or grossly neglect a sm00ker, actually mold the inside of their sm00ker. But just a bit of preventative maintenance to sterilize before, and to sterilize after use, makes a nice clean run.

Get you an AMNPS to really enjoy your smoker. ;)

Hello from East Texas lots of Watt Burners on here

Gary

Welcome and glad too have you on board. That's why they say at the begging of directions to read all of the instructions. :emoji_astonished:

Warren

Your probably ok since you waited 30 minutes and washed the grates but with an electric smoker, as with any smoker you want to season it. I usually heat it up after spraying with a high heat oil like vegetable or peanut oil and let it cook for 2 to 3 hours to burn off any manufacturing oils and kill bacteria plus the vegetable oil gives a nice touch for keeping water away and causing rust

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky