Hello from slOHIO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphed

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Beloit, OH
Hi all;

Newbie from NE Ohio here.

I was rummaging around the internet this morning, looking for reviews on my new smoke pistol (wish I'd have found them sooner) and I found this forum.

I'm a gadget guy, so I will have fun messing with it. I have a couple grills, including a weber, and a couple electric smokers. I've had a smoking tex 1400 for 3 or 4 years now and really like it. I also have an unused vertical brinkman electric I picked up at a yard sale for 20 bucks a few years ago. It'll be my experimental smoker for now.

I travel 4-7 months a year for work, so I don't smoke as much as the rest of you. I also live alone, so my neighbors love it when I fire up the smoker.

I do pork butts and briskets couple times a year and I smoked bacon 3 times last year. Plus ribs when I get the notion. I  want to start cold smoking.

I don't cure the pork bellies myself yet, 'cause of concerns with my fridge temps. (I rent at the moment, so no buying a new fridge when I have a house I am renovating). I found a local meat house that makes bacon and he sells me cured pork bellies. I have to order a few weeks ahead and he calls me when he starts curing them to let me now they will be ready in 2 weeks. It works for me 'cause I get a consistent product and I am learning the smoke flavors.

I am also going to make some pastrami this year.

I tend to use chips in the smoking tex, or small wood pieces. I do not use foil, just drop them in the smoke box, it seems to work fine. I don't like heating aluminum foil.

Anyway, that's me.

ralphed

p.s.- the avatar is from my younger days when I lived in Milford, ct. I was working a side job clamming with a buddy. I'm the taller one.

Hello and welcome to the fun.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.   Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Welcome to the forums!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

EAST TEXAS!!

I've done some valve work down in Beaumont/Vidor, Longview, and Pasadena. I was down there in the spring.

The only problem I have with working down there is I can't eat the Mexican food around here anymore.

I have my own fool proof method for finding good food down that way. If there's skinny people in the kitchen I go down the street until I find folks built like me.

I really wanna learn to make ranchero, Colorado and verde sauces. I love the subtle flavors when they're done right.

I've met tons of good folks down there.

ralphed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky