hello from Norwalk, WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyboy1

Original poster
Nov 10, 2013
Norwalk,WI.
Hello,

My Name is Jim Cameron (Jimmy). My user name is Jimmyboy1. I live in Norwalk, WI. I am pretty new to smoking meats. I had only done it a couple times. I got my hands on an old frig, with the idea of build a kegorater (sp). Well I don't drink that much so the frig sat on my back porch for about 2 years. I got some books on smoking meats, I thought I would try it again. I was going to get a 55 gallon drum and build a smoker. So I started surfing the net an found how to build frig smokers, so I thought I will use that old frig. In my research on the net this forum kept coming up on google so after a while I thought it must be the place to be so I joined. and here I am. So I set about turning my old frig into a smoker, first all the plastic on the inside had to go, behind that was this spray foam stuff, it would burn I thought from smoking so out it came. I am glad I did that because I found tubing it the foam on the sides and top once I got into it so out that came. the freezer part had to go as well, So now where a am is I got all the plastic and tubing and compressor out. I just have a few area to get the foam out. I saved to metal that held in the seal and the racks. I have  stove pipe, A heat source (a two burner hot plate). the racks. I need to figure out how I want to set up the inside as far as racks and rods to hang stuff and a drip tray. I was thinking ware the old seat was I would replace it with that seal stuff you use on ovens and wood burns and add some type of temp gauge. The hard work was getting all the stuff out of the frig like the plastic and that. not I am on the building side of building my smoker. once I am all done and ready to smoke I thought it would be a good idea to paint the outside will that high temp black spray paint on stove paint to make to frig reborn as a smoker look nice and give her a test run. I all ready file at home on this web site and looking forward to learning from and getting to know members.

As we say in ham radio 73,

kc9pxz Jimmy

Welcome aboard Jimmy!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Good luck with your fridge build project, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for the welcome Red I did the final mock up about a hour ago. hoping to finish soon. then this weekend I buy some meat and give it a try, I thinking chicken I have a couple in the freezer. Lookinf forward to learning

Jimmy

Hi Gary

Thanks fir the welcome. I already have a blast on the fourm. I going to post pictures on my project and then a youtube video link. I wish I Learned this stuff yrs ago  ones never to young to learn.

Jimmy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky