Hello from Key West

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BartenderAL72

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2020
Key West, Florida
Hey Everybody. I suppose this is the place to introduce myself and to thank you for all this wealth of knowledge. Great forum you have here! I received a Traeger Pro 22 as a Christmas gift and I seasoned it per instructions, and then cooked 2 butts last Sunday. Before last weekend, my only attempt at smoking was to sprinkle a little wood chips on our charcoal grill, or to place a metal pan with soaked wood chips inside our Weber Genisis. Definitely never heard of "thin blue smoke", nor ever attempted to achieve it, until logging a few hours on here. My uncle had a couple bbq restaurants when I was a kid, and he was always building smokers and pits, but I moved away to Key West before I could learn anything from him. Having been raised in that small town in Southern Illinois ( we had almost as many bbq joints as churches), I consider myself able to appreciate and differentiate good bbq from mediocre. That's why I was extremely disappointed in the smoke flavor from my first attempt on the Traeger. Researched my issues on here and now we own 2 bags of Lumberjack Hickory Pellets and a 12 inch oval A-MAZE-N tube to hopefully improve this situation. Armed with optimism and an open mind to learn...I'm happy to be here, and eager to improve. Cheers!

welcome to the site, keep the temps as low as it will go for the first few hours and make sure the pellets stay lit, lots better smoke flavor but still not strong and over powering

Reactions: BartenderAL72
what mike243 mike243 said. I have a rec tec pellet grill and for the larger meats like butts and brisket I run them on 180/exteme smoke (rec tec terms, pretty sure Trager calls this something similar for low/smoke) for the first 2-4 hour right out of the gate. Then crank it up to the cook temps - for butts and brisket that usually 250-275

Reactions: BartenderAL72
what mike243 mike243 said. I have a rec tec pellet grill and for the larger meats like butts and brisket I run them on 180/exteme smoke (rec tec terms, pretty sure Trager calls this something similar for low/smoke) for the first 2-4 hour right out of the gate. Then crank it up to the cook temps - for butts and brisket that usually 250-275
Thanks Sandy. This Traeger has a SMOKE setting...assuming it's the same thing as Rec Tec's extreme smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky