Hello from Estes Park, Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQwithaView

Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
Hello,

Just discovered this site and excited to learn more about BBQ! I have been smoking on pellet grills for a few years and just ordered my first offset smoker (LSG).

Compared to most of you, I'm pretty much a newbie, but have learned a thing or two about cooking at altitude. Happy to share those things if there are any other mountain smokers out there.

Settling in for a long wait for my new LSG. Hoping to get it before the Super Bowl. Will be cooking a lot of wings and ribs on my Yoder pellet grill for the upcoming football season. Great wings helps me get through a Broncos season :)

Mark

Welcome to SMF!
Happy to have you join us!
Post up some pics of that new smoker when you get it!
Al

Hi from Denver. Welcome to the forum. You know what I've found about smoking at altitude, I find that it's easier to keep a consistently low temp...like 225 or so. Congrats on the new LSG. Please do share a picture when it arrives.

Agreed. Consistent temp is important. The biggest mistake I made was not understanding the impact of altitude on final temps of my cooks. I remember the first brisket I tried. I had watched dozens of youtube videos and everyone talked about pulling their briskets at around 202 - 204 degrees (I ignored the part about probing for tenderness and was just cooking to the numbers). Problem is that at 7700 ft altitude, water boils at 198. I stalled at around 197 but kept on cooking. Eventually, I got to 202 and found I had created a leather brisket (tough and dried out). Now, I just cook to around 195 and start probing for tenderness. Usually end up pulling at around 197. Also learned that cooking at altitude just takes a bit longer. My typical brisket cook starts around 10 pm and runs for about 16 hours. With a few hours resting in the cooler, just in time for dinner the next day. But, it is so worth it..

Welcome, from California. I’m a fellow Yoder Yoda. We look forward to seeing some of your creations.
Reversed seared some steaks on the Yoder tonight. About 1 1/2 hours at 200 to get smokey and finished on the grill grates at 500 for about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Tasted even better than they looked :)

Attachments

• A98DCE7F-3A6E-41C0-A022-7B37EE457AEB.jpeg
    A98DCE7F-3A6E-41C0-A022-7B37EE457AEB.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 29141C20-4102-40B1-A73D-45EF9B42CA0B.jpeg
    29141C20-4102-40B1-A73D-45EF9B42CA0B.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Hello,

Just discovered this site and excited to learn more about BBQ! I have been smoking on pellet grills for a few years and just ordered my first offset smoker (LSG).

Compared to most of you, I'm pretty much a newbie, but have learned a thing or two about cooking at altitude. Happy to share those things if there are any other mountain smokers out there.

Settling in for a long wait for my new LSG. Hoping to get it before the Super Bowl. Will be cooking a lot of wings and ribs on my Yoder pellet grill for the upcoming football season. Great wings helps me get through a Broncos season :)

Mark
Hey there, Mark! Welcome from /boulder, CO!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky