Hello friends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
As most know, I'm new to sausage.

I noticed this  when I made my first run a sausage.   I put the polish sausage in the frig a day before smoking.  It did the same thing with the brats when I left them in the frig about a day before I got them vac sealed and froze.  

The skins kinda get brown and tough on top.   I didn't cover them.   Is this normal, should they be covered.  Will it effect the final product?   Thanks for any advice. 

Going to try my luck in a couple weeks with sheep casing.  I'm going to try breakfast sausage with them.

Wes

yes you should cover them with plastic wrap when stored in the fridge. the browness you see will not harm the product since you left it in the fridge but that area of the casing will have a different texture than the ones that did not get exposed. it will be drier.

when i make fresh sausage keep the sausage mix covered in the fridge for about a couple of hours and then stuff and then vacume pac them and freeze them. when i make smoked sausage i keep the sausage mix overnight to let the spices and cure blend. then the next day i stuff and smoke them and when the process is done i vacume pac them.  i do not stuff sausage and then keep them in the fridge. i put the sausage mix bulk in the fridge [covered] in storage in the fridge for later stuffing. Reinhard

Wes, morning..... A refer is a dehydrator....  cold plates condense the moisture and drain it away....  The casings dried out where they were in contact with the air, and where they were touching each other and the plate, they did not dry out...    

They will be fine.... brats are usually simmered in beer and onions and garlic to fully cook them around here anyway....before they go on the grill.... something like that will (should) bring them back to looking good...  they will eat anyway.... 

or, I will send you my snail mail and I will dispose of them for you if you think they are bad.....

Your friend, willing to go the extra mile to help you out......    

Dave

yes you should cover them with plastic wrap when stored in the fridge. the browness you see will not harm the product since you left it in the fridge but that area of the casing will have a different texture than the ones that did not get exposed. it will be drier.

when i make fresh sausage keep the sausage mix covered in the fridge for about a couple of hours and then stuff and then vacume pac them and freeze them. when i make smoked sausage i keep the sausage mix overnight to let the spices and cure blend. then the next day i stuff and smoke them and when the process is done i vacume pac them.  i do not stuff sausage and then keep them in the fridge. i put the sausage mix bulk in the fridge [covered] in storage in the fridge for later stuffing. Reinhard
Thanks Rein,

I'm still in the learning faze of things.  I'm a bit slow at it yet.  By the time I got them ground and stuffed, mess cleaned up, I was ready for sleep.   I've learned to start earlier.  I will follow your advice next time.  Thanks
Wes, morning..... A refer is a dehydrator....  cold plates condense the moisture and drain it away....  The casings dried out where they were in contact with the air, and where they were touching each other and the plate, they did not dry out...    

They will be fine.... brats are usually simmered in beer and onions and garlic to fully cook them around here anyway....before they go on the grill.... something like that will (should) bring them back to looking good...  they will eat anyway.... 

or, I will send you my snail mail and I will dispose of them for you if you think they are bad.....

Your friend, willing to go the extra mile to help you out......    

Dave
Dave,

The only problem is brats don't have cure in them.  Sorry man!  There Shannons recipe too....   They are so good!  :-)

Thanks for the good advice. 

I'm going to try my hand a sheep casings next.   I'm thinking putting breakfast sausage in them.  Less mess at meal time and they just look cool!  
sausage.gif

The only problem is brats don't have cure in them.  Sorry man!  There Shannons recipe too....   They are so good!  :-)

I'm going to try my hand a sheep casings next.   I'm thinking putting breakfast sausage in them.  Less mess at meal time and they just look cool!  
sausage.gif
You might check at the Piggly Wiggly for sheep casings.  I know they have hog casings at a great price, $5.99 a hank!!  If you get Sheeps, you should try your hand at Kabanosy, it should be in the calculator, if not I can send to you

Thanks Shannon.  We don't have a Piggly Wiggly anywhere close.  If I get down state I'll be sure and stop in and see what they have.   I'm still learning the different sausage flavors.  I actually got my sheep casings today.  22mm.     I'll probably give the Kabanosy a try next week-end along with the breakfast links.  I was wanting to do it this week-end, but a couple friends wanted some pork smoked for the big race Sunday. 

I have another question.  

I grilled up some of the brats that I made today while I was smoking.   This is the first time I've had a chance to grill any.   Flavor was awesome.  My question is.  To me the casing was kinda tough.  I used hog casings for stuffing.  Is this normal?  Do I need to use sheep casing?   Or can I take the casing off once grilled.    It kinda takes away from the great meat inside.  

Thanks

No hog casings are what you want.  How long did you soak them?  Also did you flush them thoroughly with water?  Next time put a tablespoon or so of vinegar in the final soak.

They soaked for probably 2 1/2 -3 hours.   I did flush them one time just to help them slide on the horn.  Thanks for the advice Shannon.   

where these brats smoked that you grilled? if they were fresh brats then the above advice should be noted and i agree with the soaking time and flushing. i actualy let them soak overnight. realy not necessary but that's just me.  if they were smoked and turned out tough it may be that the vent on your smoker were not open far enough allowing humidity to be trapped in the smoker. i had that happen to me when i first started to smoke. i had water in the pan and kept the vent just a notch open..i didn't allow the sausage to dry properly and start them out at a lower temp like 120 or 140 to help in the drying process to allow the smoke to "blend" in the casings. i put the links in at that time at 225 and took them out when they reached 160 internal temp. the flavor was great but the casings turned somewhat rubbery.  this site has helped me open my eyes more and i have learned a lot in the short time i have been on here. i have made mostly fresh sausage in the many years i have made them and just made smoked a few years ago. nice to be part of this group. Reinhard

where these brats smoked that you grilled? if they were fresh brats then the above advice should be noted and i agree with the soaking time and flushing. i actualy let them soak overnight. realy not necessary but that's just me.  if they were smoked and turned out tough it may be that the vent on your smoker were not open far enough allowing humidity to be trapped in the smoker. i had that happen to me when i first started to smoke. i had water in the pan and kept the vent just a notch open..i didn't allow the sausage to dry properly and start them out at a lower temp like 120 or 140 to help in the drying process to allow the smoke to "blend" in the casings. i put the links in at that time at 225 and took them out when they reached 160 internal temp. the flavor was great but the casings turned somewhat rubbery.  this site has helped me open my eyes more and i have learned a lot in the short time i have been on here. i have made mostly fresh sausage in the many years i have made them and just made smoked a few years ago. nice to be part of this group. Reinhard
No, these brats weren't smoked.   I smoked some kalbasa a few weeks ago and they turned out perfect.   If  I soak the casings over night, do I need to keep them in salt water to keep them from going bad?

The next time I'll put the vinegar in the last soak and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

i have never used vinegar myself but it may help.  one night in the fridge wont hurt a thing. just makes them softer and easier to use for me. Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky