Having a great weekend so far!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by john battersby, Apr 23, 2016.

1. I'm having a great weekend so far!  I started by throwing some burgers on the grill for lunch and I smoked them with some mesquite.  They came out absolutely wonderful!  Very juicy and flavorful for having only been seasoned with salt and pepper.

I then threw some pecan on the coals and two chickens rubbed in Cajun seasoning and injected with creole butter.  They came out wonderful too!  I feel the seal of approval is my wife; I caught her cutting up the chickens and eating about half of it! :)

Tomorrow I'm heading out to the Tail of the Dragon with a couple of close friends!  318 curves in 11 miles!!!!

So, I threw the chickens on after lunch and poured a Jack Daniel's Honey Whiskey over ginger ale.  I was a little disappointed with the Maverick RediCheck; it displayed a probe temp of 80 and a grill temp of 45 while just sitting out in the open air. :(

[​IMG]

I felt the need to mettle with the damn grill and this is what the chicken looked like after a couple of minutes with some pecan smoke going.

[​IMG]

And here is what they looked like after they hit 165 and I brought them in!

[​IMG]

I was REALLY happy with how juicy the chicken was!

[​IMG]

The meat just came off the bone without effort.

[​IMG]

My wife cooked up some green beans and I threw a couple of large mushrooms on the Vision that came out great.  I also had some of my favorite (store bought from Publix) potato salad!

[​IMG]

And tomorrow I have to wake up early because a few friends and I are heading out to the Tail of the Dragon!  This is what I'm driving...

[​IMG]  

disco and crazymoon like this.
  2. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job on the chickens.  They look great.  Nice color, and the meat looks real juicy.

I do have a question regarding your plated shot.  How can you eat just ONE mushroom???????????  I didn't even know they came in groups of less than a dozen or so.  LOL.

Gary

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You sure titled the thread right.

I guess you are having a great weekend!

Your food looks fantastic!!

Great job!

Nice car too!

Al

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

JB, Tasty looking birds!

5. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking smoke!Thumbs Up

6. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Great looking chicken.  [​IMG]   (And mushroom)  [​IMG]

Looks like your in for a nice ride on a twisty road.

7. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

Dang, that looks delicious.
    Hope you have a great ride.

Ed

8. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Terrific looking chicken, John.

Points for that great skin colour.

Disco

9. Thanks guys!

So here is one of the reasons I love smoking chicken; smoked chicken salad sandwiches!

[​IMG]

And here is a pic of my car from the Tail of the Dragon!