Has THIS Ever Happened To You?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bud J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
We all love our smoked foods and do whatever we can to improve on recipes.
I am someone that relllllly loves leftovers and combining leftover fridge ingredients into a single bowl is a favorite dinner for me.

So tonight, like many other nights, I put together some leftover ingredients that were in the refrigerator. The main ingredient for this dish was, leftover pasta I had made with oil, butter, garlic, fresh basil pesto AND smoked chicken skins I had saved from smoking a chicken a couple days ago. I really love adding the skins to a pasta dish as it adds a real flavor impact to it. I also added other ingredients that were on hand.
Anytime I cook, I enjoy a cocktail...or two... or three... and tonight was no exception. So while enjoying my cooking session, I went to town concocting all of my ingredients into a hopefully enjoyable dinner...and, of course, pouring more cocktails. I threw this in and that and this an so on. I added more garlic, spices, and other stuff that was getting old in the fridge.

After completing the cooking session I sat down to enjoy my meal. Turns out it was one of the most incredible meals I had ever eaten. The flavor was smoky, strong and incredibly tasty. It was one of the best dishes I ever tasted.
So has THIS ever happened to you? You’ve made one of the best dishes ever and you have no idea how you did it?
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I DID! Damn wine...

Last edited:

Attachments

• 391248B5-DA0C-47C3-9862-57E5DC05F9BC.jpeg
    391248B5-DA0C-47C3-9862-57E5DC05F9BC.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 11
Hehehe! I had that same thing for supper, all I had left was an empty bowl also!

Ryan

It was one of the best dishes I ever tasted.
So has THIS ever happened to you? You’ve made one of the best dishes ever and you have no idea how you did it?
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I DID! Damn wine...
All the time and with or without alcohol induced CRS.
I start with a documented base recipe. By the time I'm done, the tweaks got lost in translation from cook to card.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
"i remember my first beer" :emoji_wink:

just make sure to keep a notepad so it's not for naught, bud. and count your blessings this time worked out!

Been there. Sometimes it took me Years to re-engineer a dish. I learned to at least take minimal notes. I cook with Wine or Beer. Sometimes I even put some in the Pot!😆...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
Cooking is chemistry,
and sometimes when I'm just tossing stuff together it just comes out perfectly.
An excellent example is these tacos.

I've done it so many times because I throw together things I have onhand. My wife finally trained me to start writing things down as soon as I finished. Used to use a recipe software but it is no longer supported. Now I use a couple free apps on my phone, store them in the cloud, then print the recipes. Once you start, it's kinda addicting.

i use my smart phone to take pictures of mostly dry erase but all sorts of scribbles more than anything.

if youre unsure whether or not to write that extra detail about a cook on your notes/bags/labeling, write it down. they make real fine sharpies for the times you really need to extrapolate on what was special about it. i labeled a ziplock of sliced ham (canadian bacon) portions with "smuckers (use welchs next time). use less 5spice" earlier. and thats a recipe ive ran a few trials of about the same, just little things i need emphasis on. so i dont kick myself makin the same mistake again. Save a few pieces for leftovers to try n give your palate a couple days off if u wanna go all out. But anyways, i decided to add it bc it was definitive to me- smuckers just tastes like sugar whereas welchs adds a subtle (compared to using fancy brands) but absolutely discernible difference.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky