Harry Soos using splits with a WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
In case anyone wanted something to experiment with this summer..

Came across this interesting video earlier this afternoon. Needless to say I am intrigued

I like him, he is a funny guy but post oak on a Weber, as seen on his video, does not produce clear blue smoke like an offset.
It would have been better if he used charcoal and added wood on top.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Probably because Weber doesn't make an offset smoker, and he's a Weber dude.
I don't believe a thing he says he lost me when he was pumping up how great the Weber Smokefire was. Then a week later it comes out that the Weber S.F. was a huge fail for Weber. He's a Weber yes man in my opinion, which happens when people get free stuff from companies for talking them up. I don't roll that way, never have, never will get anything but an honest review from me because I pay for my shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWFokker
He's a goofball and he lives off click revenue. Running a WSM like a stick burner is for clicks, not because it's a good idea. I've also seen this guy cook ribs and brisket at 400F. You can, but why?

This isn't ground breaking whatsoever.
People have been running splits in drum smokers well before they were ever called UDS. In fact I'd say most people started out using real wood for coals. We always had a fire pit next to our barrels to get coals or we'd let the fire burn down to coals then we would place a bottomless barrel over the fire pit after the flames burned down.

This isn't ground breaking whatsoever.
People have been running splits in drum smokers well before they were ever called UDS. In fact I'd say most people started out using real wood for coals. We always had a fire pit next to our barrels to get coals or we'd let the fire burn down to coals then we would place a bottomless barrel over the fire pit after the flames burned down.
Ok, but how do you REALLY feel? lol

I simply said it was intriguing, down to propping open the lid with a chunk for adequate draft. Most reports I read using splits with a UDS involve letting them burn down to coals, unlike the video.

Ok, but how do you REALLY feel? lol

I simply said it was intriguing, down to propping open the lid with a chunk for adequate draft. Most reports I read using splits with a UDS involve letting them burn down to coals, unlike the video.
Pretty much the same way I feel about all Youtube and Facebook "experts".
At least Harry has a proven track record in BBQ comps unlike most of the other Youtube & F.B. "Pro's".

I've met Harry several times, and he has always been more than willing, helpful and approachable.
And if you call him on a non BBQ comp day, he will spend the time on the phone trying to help you.
I like that about the guy, hell, anyone willing to share their secrets is a good dude in my book.
The thing I don't like is when he backs products just to make money when the products have major issues, like the Weber Smoke Fire had from the get-go. I can't stand when people deceive others to make a buck, they lose all creditability with me.

Hamdrew Hamdrew
How's that?

Dan

Nah. Not interested. I like Harry, but he's a bit too sponsor-ish for me. Some of his experiments are fun. Others? Meh.

I've kinda quit using wood chunks in my WSM, except when people give me a bag. I use a single 4" x 8" to 12" split buried under cold charcoal briquettes, then start the fire with only 8 to 10 hot briquettes. I start slow and give it a couple hours to stabilize. I can do it MUCH faster, but why? I get TBS to IS (invisible smoke) the entire session once I load the meat, up to 15-18 hours (my longest smokes since I made the switch away from chunks)..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky