Hardwood flooring scraps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sacedbysapp

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Florida
I was given five big boxes of this hickory hardwood flooring scraps it’s pure hardwood the person I got it from said he used it in his smoker he doesn’t smoke anymore so he gave it to me is there any issues with using this? I did burn some last night and it seem to burn clean and hot no sap or chemical seem to burn off.

Attachments

• D6DC12EE-B963-4868-A2E9-9A6FD28998F2.jpeg
    D6DC12EE-B963-4868-A2E9-9A6FD28998F2.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: JLeonard
Looks clean to me, I used Oak flooring that was unfinished works great and u saved some cash to buy meat.
Richie

As long as it's true hickory all the way through... not a piece of hickory glued onto some kind of backing board ... and as said... unfinished

Lord love a duck, no way.
If there's even a TINY chance it was treated with ANYTHING, it's poison and you don't need it in your food or in your body.
Cost/benefit analysis..you save some small amount of money and/or could poison your food.
For heating fuel, maybe if the stove is airtight, but that's it.

This pops up now and then and is hotly debated. I am with C Chasdev , nope. Local mill I get wood from sprays for bugs and mold. If you KNOW it was not treated then sure but otherwise no.

One benefit of being in a trade is the availability of such goodies!

I've brought home so much cut-offs over the years.The WSM was loving those days.

For me and my family I would not smoke meat with that.

I'm in the no camp . Just because I'm not sure and it's not worth the chance to me . That being said , I have pulled more than one piece of flooring out of lump charcoal bags .
I have gallons of hardwood saw dust that comes out of the shop . I throw it all out .

I don't know about all the different types of "Hardwood" flooring.
However if you can get cutoffs from a small Hardwood Cabinet shop, like mine was, from when they cut up their cabinet framing & raised panel doors, those are all Kiln Dried, and no chemical treatment whatsoever.

Bear

I think I would just burn it in my Chimnea. Unless you know it’s pure wood without any additives.
Al

I have a jotul 602 that I am going to use for the first time this winter and I want to know if is it safe to burn large amounts of hardwood flooring scraps. I can get 50-60lbs of scraps a day I know the moisture content is between 6% and 10%.
I wouldn't hesitate to burn that in a stove, personally I just wouldn't cook or smoke with it. It'll burn up fast and provide a lot of heat and that's a lot of scrap wood that I wouldn't let go to waste...

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky