Hardwood flooring scraps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

sacedbysapp

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Florida
I was given five big boxes of this hickory hardwood flooring scraps it’s pure hardwood the person I got it from said he used it in his smoker he doesn’t smoke anymore so he gave it to me is there any issues with using this? I did burn some last night and it seem to burn clean and hot no sap or chemical seem to burn off.

Attachments

• D6DC12EE-B963-4868-A2E9-9A6FD28998F2.jpeg
    D6DC12EE-B963-4868-A2E9-9A6FD28998F2.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: JLeonard

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Looks clean to me, I used Oak flooring that was unfinished works great and u saved some cash to buy meat.
Richie

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
As long as it's true hickory all the way through... not a piece of hickory glued onto some kind of backing board ... and as said... unfinished

Chasdev

Smoking Fanatic
Jan 18, 2020
Lord love a duck, no way.
If there's even a TINY chance it was treated with ANYTHING, it's poison and you don't need it in your food or in your body.
Cost/benefit analysis..you save some small amount of money and/or could poison your food.
For heating fuel, maybe if the stove is airtight, but that's it.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
This pops up now and then and is hotly debated. I am with C Chasdev , nope. Local mill I get wood from sprays for bugs and mold. If you KNOW it was not treated then sure but otherwise no.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
One benefit of being in a trade is the availability of such goodies!

I've brought home so much cut-offs over the years.The WSM was loving those days.

TNJAKE

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop Tennessee
For me and my family I would not smoke meat with that.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I'm in the no camp . Just because I'm not sure and it's not worth the chance to me . That being said , I have pulled more than one piece of flooring out of lump charcoal bags .
I have gallons of hardwood saw dust that comes out of the shop . I throw it all out .

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I don't know about all the different types of "Hardwood" flooring.
However if you can get cutoffs from a small Hardwood Cabinet shop, like mine was, from when they cut up their cabinet framing & raised panel doors, those are all Kiln Dried, and no chemical treatment whatsoever.

Bear

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I think I would just burn it in my Chimnea. Unless you know it’s pure wood without any additives.
Al

jdixon

Fire Starter
Jul 24, 2021
For me and my family I would not smoke meat with that.
hardwood floor refinishing atlanta
I have a jotul 602 that I am going to use for the first time this winter and I want to know if is it safe to burn large amounts of hardwood flooring scraps. I can get 50-60lbs of scraps a day I know the moisture content is between 6% and 10%.

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I have a jotul 602 that I am going to use for the first time this winter and I want to know if is it safe to burn large amounts of hardwood flooring scraps. I can get 50-60lbs of scraps a day I know the moisture content is between 6% and 10%.
I wouldn't hesitate to burn that in a stove, personally I just wouldn't cook or smoke with it. It'll burn up fast and provide a lot of heat and that's a lot of scrap wood that I wouldn't let go to waste...

Reactions: Bearcarver