Hamburger gravy on creamy mash with green beans and dessert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Fall is finally here so some nice comfort food was on the menu. A trifecta of Midwestern comfort with a keto twist and a dash of gourmet. Gruyere white truffle cauliflower and turnip mash with creamy hamburger gravy and a side of fresh green beans with candy onion and my homemade buckboard bacon. Nothing like warm hearty comfort food on a cool fall day. My general keto hamburger gravy process is here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/keto-hamburger-gravy.305643/ I have been upping the amount of Minors beef broth concentrate a another tablespoon or two to taste. The mash is two medium cauliflower heads cut up and microwaved 20 minutes until tender. Very little water to keep the mash thick. Peeled and cubed 4 medium turnips and boiled to tender. Riced them manually a bit and then into the Kitchenaid with 2 blocks softened cream cheese , 12 oz shredded Gruyere and 2-3 T white truffle oil. I mix them pretty good with the kitchen aid and then finish with an immersion blender for the perfect smooth consistency. Beans are nice fresh green beans and candy onions from the local Amish produce stand, some of my buckboard bacon and Minors chicken broth. Coconut cheesecake was a recipe from lowcarbyum. I made a coconut cream caramel sauce to dress it up. It’s good but I’m going to be making changes when I make the next batch. All in all a tasty bunch of eats. Thanks for looking.
85649ED8-0F17-456B-AA83-ED652F21777B.jpeg
B2C876FB-0582-4868-87ED-066376E6EAF7.jpeg
D0AE6295-760A-4908-82DF-BFBD6086C3F1.jpeg
71DC8780-FEB7-40EE-8115-0FFC934B229A.jpeg
A6E9B8AD-CD57-4590-B38F-8C832F1D4D79.jpeg
ECDD547D-7324-43B5-97B4-17714BF3C91A.jpeg
737E681B-C74B-4162-AD44-BDBA3803897A.jpeg

That looks delicious Jeff! Just hand me a ladle for that hamburger gravy! Comfort food for sure.

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Nice! The description had me hooked and the pics were a home run! You crushed it! That goes to the Keto hall of fame for sure. Thanks for sharing!

That looks fantastic Jeff. We have always made hamburger gravy with cream of mushroom soup, with either rice or potatoes. Keto, I don’t do, but I understand it. Looks very tasty, and nicely done.

Now that's something I've not seen in years. Hamburger gravy. I got sick of it while in the service. I'm thinking it's time to revisit. Looks very good Jeff!

Looks great . Nothing wrong with hamburger gravy in my book . Love the green beans and bacon . Had that part of this yesterday with smoked sausage .
That cheese cake is money . Nice work .

Beautiful meal Jeff, what I wouldn’t give for a taste of that. It’s starting to get chilly here so a hamburger gravy would be just perfect. Pass the ladle please!

I would tear that up! Nice Job Jeff. Going to have to try that pie. I been craving a lemon dessert lately. You have one up your sleeve?

Last edited:
Another good one Jeff! I make cauliflower mashed all the time but never added turnip, in fact I have never had a turnip. What does it add to the mashed? sweater? better texture? I also steam the cauliflower but I think I am goind to try the nuker like you to get less moisture.

Thx for another great idea

That looks like one delicious meal Jeff!
I haven’t had hamburger gravy since I was a kid, but you can bet I will be making some soon!
Al

My grade school in the 60's used to dish up hamburger gravy every Wednesday. Loved that stuff. My wife made it for the kids and I when they were small, and it's still a favorite with us today.

Jeff that meal looks absolutely incredibly buddy!! You seem to have a never-ending way of turning out the most amazing, magazine quality, 5-star meals. You never cease to amaze!!

Robert

Wonderful with the weather we're starting to have!
I seem to remember Mom making something like this but I never have.
It's on my list now....
The beans look killer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky