Had to try this! FROZEN RIBS???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al Thanks for the like I appreciate it.

That is what so great about this forum someone is always trying something new and sharing it with everyone.

Yea weather been crazy here too. I have friends in Naples, and they report being in the 30's.

Warren

Definitely going to try this, AL! Thawing a whole untrimmed rack of spare ribs is a bit of a pain with my setup here at home. This would solve that problem. Thanks for posting.

BTW, I've done grilled frozen steaks. I prefer them thawed or right from the grocer, which are basically pre-thawed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
Interesting experiment with a great result Al!
It'll make the process a lot easier in the future. Thanks for sharing

Keith

Last edited:
Makes sense to me, because those frozen Quarter pound Beef Patties we buy are best when made right from frozen.
They don't dry up---Plenty juicy!!
And they don't even stick to the grill, like they can if you thaw them first.

Bear

Thanks John!
It was an experiment that actually worked! There have been plenty that weren’t so good!
Al

Al , The ribs look great. Thanks for the new lesson on frozen meats in the smoker

Love Judy's Sweatshirt, :emoji_yum: :emoji_grin:
looks like she is all set for the Ironman Challenge, normally up here
it is hotdogs and blueberry pies for the competition, Not ribs, LOL .

Did you go to the competition in Penticton BC, my son was working there when that was going on .
The town doubled in size for a couple weeks he said.

David

Thanks David!
Actually I did the Ironman up there many years ago, and she still has the sweatshirt. First race I ever was in that had hot tubs at the finish & we drank chicken broth. Other Ironman races down here or in Hawaii were so hot that at the finish we would get a couple of IV’s & drink lots of Gatorade. Lovely country up there in BC.
Al

Thanks Al! I think I just got an education...and better yet, a few ideas!!!

Your welcome!
Hope you give it a try!
Al

I never would have considered smoking frozen ribs, but they look like a winner to me, Al.

On larger cuts, I believe it would be safe, provided it's solid muscle, not previously injected, or otherwise molested. So long as the outside hits 140* in 4hr, it would be safe, unless I'm mistaken, but I believe this is correct.

Thank-you!
And yes you are right, as long as it is intact it would be safe.
Al

Very cool Al. I do partially frozen ribs, bird parts, and burger quite often but never done them solid frozen as I usually set them on the kitchen granite for 30 min while the smoker is getting hot and that sucks the cold out quick, then on the smoker or grill.

Thank-you!
Do you find that using partially frozen gives you a better end product?
I wonder what the difference is between partially frozen & fully frozen.
Al

With posts like that you should change your handle from smoke blower to mind blower. I did find an error in the equation on page 15, however.

Ha Ha that is funny!
I’ll check out the equation
Al
Great thread and info (on Wildfork as well!) Will be trying!

Thank-you!
You won’t be disappointed with WF!
Al

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Do you find that using partially frozen gives you a better end product?
I wonder what the difference is between partially frozen & fully frozen.

I find that you can get a better sear or bark on bird parts (non marinated) because it starts sooner and therefore less of a chance to over cook the center. So I actually prefer partially frozen bird parts especially breast for grilling or smoking.

On ribs they tend to be a bit more "smoky" all that said I always like to put cold meat on the grill or smoker, never room temp especially steaks.

Thanks David!
Actually I did the Ironman up there many years ago, and she still has the sweatshirt. First race I ever was in that had hot tubs at the finish & we drank chicken broth. Other Ironman races down here or in Hawaii were so hot that at the finish we would get a couple of IV’s & drink lots of Gatorade. Lovely country up there in BC.
Al

That is Very Cool Al,

Did you do well in the competitions. Yes BC is nice . But other side of the country is nicer...lol :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin:

David

Thanks for sharing Al! Will definitely try this! You haven't led me astray yet! :emoji_blush: . We vac seal steaks 2 per bag...might have to season them before freezing and try it out.

Ryan

Thank you Ryan!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results, if you try this with steaks!
Al

Tasty looking ribs Al

Thanks Jake!
I appreciate it!!
Al

Al Thanks for the like I appreciate it.

That is what so great about this forum someone is always trying something new and sharing it with everyone.

Yea weather been crazy here too. I have friends in Naples, and they report being in the 30's.

Warren

Thanks Warren!
I agree, I sure have learned a lot of stuff on here.
So, now the weather is going to be warm for the next week or so, crazy!!
Al

Definitely going to try this, AL! Thawing a whole untrimmed rack of spare ribs is a bit of a pain with my setup here at home. This would solve that problem. Thanks for posting.

BTW, I've done grilled frozen steaks. I prefer them thawed or right from the grocer, which are basically pre-thawed.

Thank-you!
Your right, it does simplify things!!
Al

Interesting experiment with a great result Al!
It'll make the process a lot easier in the future. Thanks for sharing

Keith

Thanks Keith!
I’m going to try this with several cuts of meat. I know frozen works great in our SV, but smoking or grilling is another deal altogether. It will be fun!!
Al

Reactions: 912smoker
I find that you can get a better sear or bark on bird parts (non marinated) because it starts sooner and therefore less of a chance to over cook the center. So I actually prefer partially frozen bird parts especially breast for grilling or smoking.

On ribs they tend to be a bit more "smoky" all that said I always like to put cold meat on the grill or smoker, never room temp especially steaks.
SmokinAl SmokinAl

Did you finish the ribs @ 195˚ Internal Temp as you usually do?

Thanks,

John

Thanks John!
I took them to 200 so they would be as close to FOTB as I could get without turning them into pulled pork! I have to admit they were darn good!
Al

That is Very Cool Al,

Did you do well in the competitions. Yes BC is nice . But other side of the country is nicer...lol :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin:

David

I came in second place in BC, which qualified me for the World Championships in Hawaii, great country you guys have up there!
Thanks for asking!
Al

Just put a PID controller on my MES40. This might be a good way to try it out!

Heck yea!
Give it a shot!
Al

Al Thanks again for another like I appreciate it.

Warren

No problem Warren, thank you for the nice comments & the like as well!
Al

That's great Al, good for you. Those are very stiff competitions. How did you do at the worlds, if you don't mind me asking

David

The best I ever did at the Worlds was 10th place. Went there 4 times & my best time was 9:59:23. So I managed to squeak in under 10 hours, which is a pretty big accomplishment when your 43 years old! I sure wish I was 43 again! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

Worlds was 10th place. Went there 4 times & my best time was 9:59:23

That's fantastic Al. Lots of training and hard work.

I sure wish I was 43 again

You and me both brother, my son is 43 . I remember in my 20's thinking 40's was old. I wish I was that OLD. lol

David

That's fantastic Al. Lots of training and hard work.

You and me both brother, my son is 43 . I remember in my 20's thinking 40's was old. I wish I was that OLD. lol

David

Well my Son is 56, and I’m just a has been triathlete. But it was a great ride while it lasted. I trained 8-12 hours a day for about 25 years. Sounds like a lot but I enjoyed every minute of it!!
Al

Well my Son is 56, and I’m just a has been triathlete. But it was a great ride while it lasted. I trained 8-12 hours a day for about 25 years. Sounds like a lot but I enjoyed every minute of it!!
Al

Has Been ....No . You had to enjoy it, and for 25 years . I used to love going to the gym everyday when I was younger and in a different profession. Than I got into construction/carpentry. and some days were harder than the gym. Now they are all herder than the gym....lol

David

Has Been ....No . You had to enjoy it, and for 25 years . I used to love going to the gym everyday when I was younger and in a different profession. Than I got into construction/carpentry. and some days were harder than the gym. Now they are all herder than the gym....lol

David

I hear you David, you have to really love what you are doing to do what I did. And like you, I feel that it does seem to get harder to do today, what you did yesterday!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky