First attempt at cheese and my new cold smoke setup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BilboBaggins

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
With a nice cold front passing through north GA this weekend, I decided to put together my version of a mailbox mod and try it out on some cheese.

My cold smoker is a Char-Broil smoker side box attachment that I picked up (NIB) off Facebook for $20. I got an aluminum duct the I cut. One piece I slid into the chip tray loader. Another piece of duct I taped to the outlet of the smoker box using dryer duct aluminum tape. Then, I used a section of 3” flex tube to connect the box to the smoker.
A01D1F39-E08E-45F2-A10A-6D55E9E7E1DF.jpeg

I used Bear Mountain Bold BBQ pellets that I ground in a coffee bean grinder.
861D11B5-4BE2-4ED5-90AE-A5C43879A8EB.jpeg
40BAE7CE-0516-4094-B08B-A83E1A1DD3CB.jpeg

I loaded the dust into a smoke tube. (The foil is to catch the dust that falls out of the holes of the tube.)
0A9E413C-2556-4E82-81DC-150D4E2BFA4F.jpeg

I loaded up some mild cheddar and pepper Jack into the smoker.
DB818E6E-7ABD-40BA-B686-B28725FC191A.jpeg

And, here is the cheese after 4 hours of smoke.
D8B6A74B-D04C-4F37-9F22-12DE656C1D02.jpeg

Now, it’s sitting in a fridge in my garage.

Question, though. I’m planning on letting it sit for two weeks before trying. Should I leave them just sitting on the tray in the fridge for the two weeks, or vacuum seal them?

Attachments

• 295EFE27-A180-432A-B90E-D7359B09B87E.jpeg
    295EFE27-A180-432A-B90E-D7359B09B87E.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 18
Nice job
Report back in 2 weeks with your taste test.
Are you prepping for the throw down?

Question, though. I’m planning on letting it sit for two weeks before trying. Should I leave them just sitting on the tray in the fridge for the two weeks, or vacuum seal them?
I seal them in a zip lock bag with most of the air squeezed out. You don't want to leave them too long open in the fridge or they will pick up ... flavors from other things in the fridge

Thanks, y’all, for the feedback. You guys are awesome! I’ll report back in a couple of weeks and let y’all know how it went.

Reactions: Winterrider
Looks great. What flavor pellets did you use? Also, next time, I would consider making 3 full rows, to allow more space between all the blocks. Or maybe spread that amount on two racks ? Don't be in a hurry to taste it.

I like that Char Broil smoker box. Any inside pics?

Last edited:
I was wondering what flavor the pellets were. Here's an answer:

PRODUCT FEATURES​

A robust blend of 100% premium, all-natural Oak, Mesquite, and Hickory hardwoods – no flavorings, fillers, or additives
Low moisture for the perfect smoke

Reactions: BilboBaggins
I like that Char Broil smoker box. Any inside pics?
Here are a couple more pics of the inside of the smoker box
DA2ADB45-ECCD-4269-98B1-89E8624FB244.jpeg

I got a piece of aluminum that I taped to the opening. Then I drilled holes in the aluminum.
52BDD369-F7E7-495A-A973-224D851A2EA8.jpeg

I put the cheese in a drawer in my beer fridge in the garage and kept forgetting about it. I finally remembered to get it out and do a taste test. (Sorry; no pics.) They were both very good. The smoke was very mild on both. The pepper jack took on more smoky flavor than the cheddar, though. All in all, I consider it a success and can't wait until fall/winter to do it, again.

I've got 4 bricks of cheese that weather and life has kept them out of the smoker.
I'm thinking maybe Sunday. Mother's Day festivities started today so I hope it is over by Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky