Had to cut down a brisket for some corned beef. Gonna smoke the point.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by crankybuzzard, Jan 16, 2016.

1. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bought a whole packer to make some corned beef since flats were stupid expensive. I picked a spot and just sliced the brisket in half. Point piece is right at 6 pounds.

Slathered the point and rubbed last night anticipating smoking today. Well, the bride has other plans for me. Gonna go to her grandmother's 93rd birthday, so it'll have to sit in the frig until tomorrow. Should make for some good grub for Sunday supper.

Finished pics of the point tomorrow at some point. Yep, pun intended...

I didn't take any pics of the corned beef prep, but I'll show pics of it in 20 days or so...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like a Plan, CB !!  [​IMG]

You know I'll be back:

[​IMG]

Bear

3. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Same here - I've a packer in the freezer that is begging for attention, and I've never done corned beef - maybe now is the time [​IMG]

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good so far. Waiting for the finale!

Al

5. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You just cut it in half? You didn't separate the point from the flat? Yikes ... You have one piece all flat and one piece flat and point. Grain going two different directions... Hard to slice

6. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nah, by the time I'm done with it,you won't need teef for this beef!

I'll smoke it to around 160-160 IT, put it in a 1/4 pan, add some of my "secret tender juice"*, cover and let it run until it's falling apart. The plan is to make this into chopped beef.

As for the corned beef, it too will be really tender and I'll separate the pieces after it's done. Flat for slicing, and what's left of the point for corned beef hash.

*secret tender juice is; a little of my home brew dark ale, a little ACV, a touch of Tabasco, and some chipotle sauce. Makes for some killer chopped beef!

7. bearcarver

Talk-Talk-Talk----When do we eat ?!?![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bear

8. crankybuzzard

About this time tomorrow.

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]   I'm still here!

Al

10.  I'm here for the finish.

Chuck

11. I'm getting hungry     [​IMG]

Gary

12. crankybuzzard

It's a SMOKIN! I'll take a pic or 2 when I mop and add the probe later.

Here's what it looked like at 0800 this morning before I put it into the pit.

Yeah, not real impressive. :biggrin:

13. crankybuzzard

Gary, does this help any? About 150 now, will wrap soon. :biggrin:

14. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

Mixing the cole slaw now....🙂

15. Man that looks good

16. crankybuzzard

All done and it tasted great! Wife was happy and I have some sammichs for lunch tomorrow!

Right after opening the foil

First chunk I cut off to find the grain direction. After cooking and twisting up, I had no clue which was was north! :biggrin:

Now the long wait begins for the corned beef!

gary s and bearcarver like this.
  17. Looks good and mighty tasty  Nice job Charlie  [​IMG]

Gary

18. bearcarver

Oh Yeah!![​IMG]

Those are gonna be Awesome Sammies!!![​IMG]--------------[​IMG]

Some Horse Radish on mine, Please!![​IMG]

Bear

19. smokeymose

All the talk about grain direction just sort of escapes me. That looks awesome no matter how you slice it!!
    Thumbs Up
    Dan

20. smokeymose

Never worried much about the grain direction thing. That looks just great, any way you slice it!!
    Thumbs Up
    I'll be checking back in around 20 days to check on the corned beef...😉