Habanero mango hot sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's pretty pricey !
It is. But, if you get into fermenting. It's worth the price over loosing 20 pounds of cabbage or a large batch of pickles. And habaneros aren't cheap either. Not to mention someone possibly getting sick.

Reactions: mike243
Man Steve, you got it going on buddy!! That's likely to be some righteous stuff. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Robert

I'm following this for sure.
Walmart had mango habanero ice cream that was to die for (and for cheap) for about a year but Covid killed it and a few other fantastic flavors they'd just brought out.

Reactions: Steve H and jcam222
I'm following this for sure.
Walmart had mango habanero ice cream that was to die for (and for cheap) for about a year but Covid killed it and a few other fantastic flavors they'd just brought out.
I plan on trying to whip up a keto version of that in the next couple months.

Steve. Fiesta Mart has habanero's for $5.49 a lb. I will be making a run down that way soon. Just trying to figure out how much I need? Was that 14 ounces for both batches?
Yes, that was split equally between the 2 quart jars.

Maybe I need to print some of these?
362272092_4471563139642166_8099933771859699078_n.jpg

Since I do sugar free I used ooflavors mango in the post process. From what I read you will get a more pronounced fruit flavor adding it post ferment but many do pre. Truly interested in what you think of it.
Been doing some research and seeing a lot of different opinions about when to add fruit. I have some peach extract I use to make my peach shine that has great flavor. For my first time I think I will go with no fruit and use that. Jeff fermenting with fruit should convert the sugar leaving fairly low carb I would think?

Been doing some research and seeing a lot of different opinions about when to add fruit. I have some peach extract I use to make my peach shine that has great flavor. For my first time I think I will go with no fruit and use that. Jeff fermenting with fruit should convert the sugar leaving fairly low carb I would think?
I need to do some research into that. One would think so.

Count me as one who is interested in your thoughts about the flavor when fermenting the mangos with the habs.

I mentioned in another thread around here that I did that with peaches and made two batches, each with an assortment of peppers, including habs, one with roasted peppers and peaches, the other with raw. I let one batch ferment for a two months and another for 8 months.

I tested pH on both batches; it was around 2.6 -- very sour but quite safe to eat. The sauce was not nearly as hot as I wanted it. My hypothesis is that, rather than adding sweetness to the sauce, the addition of fruit adds fuel for the lactobaccili, which, in turn, produce more lactic acid, and hence a lower pH and more sour flavor, perhaps compromising heat in the process. I'm no chemist, so I really don't know what's going on. I'm just not too keen on the resulting flavor.

I won't include fruit in the fermentation process in my next batch. If I want to add a sweet flavor, I'll add it after processing, making sure I keep the sauce refrigerated and not allowing the pH to get too high.

Count me as one who is interested in your thoughts about the flavor when fermenting the mangos with the habs.
Sorry about that. The threads kind of got convoluted.
Here is the results:

I mentioned in another thread around here that I did that with peaches and made two batches, each with an assortment of peppers, including habs, one with roasted peppers and peaches, the other with raw. I let one batch ferment for a two months and another for 8 months.

I tested pH on both batches; it was around 2.6 -- very sour but quite safe to eat. The sauce was not nearly as hot as I wanted it. My hypothesis is that, rather than adding sweetness to the sauce, the addition of fruit adds fuel for the lactobaccili, which, in turn, produce more lactic acid, and hence a lower pH and more sour flavor, perhaps compromising heat in the process. I'm no chemist, so I really don't know what's going on. I'm just not too keen on the resulting flavor.

I won't include fruit in the fermentation process in my next batch. If I want to add a sweet flavor, I'll add it after processing, making sure I keep the sauce refrigerated and not allowing the pH to get too high.
I find that even 100% habanero ferments are not super hot for my tastes. Diluted further with fruit in the solid portion id imagine that makes it even milder. I don't think the PH level itself makes it milder but I can't say that for sure. I will say I've never got a ferment with a PH as low as 2.6. That's as shelf stable as can be.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky