Habanero mango hot sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
This is a nod towards Jeff jcam222 jcam222 . I really enjoyed the hot sauce he sent me. And I found some habs that weren't priced like gold. So, I'm making some!

IMG_20230624_144247365 (1).jpg

These were 1.00 per ounce. But 14 ounces.
Divided in half between 2 quart mason jars with 1 cup of mangos each, 1/2tsp dried ginger each, 2 cloves rough chopped garlic each. Brine was filtered water at 3.5% salt.

IMG_20230624_150227936.jpg

Jars got condensation from the frozen mango pieces. These will ferment for 3-4 weeks before processing. Can't wait!

Did the jars come with the holes, plugs, and fermentation traps ?
And do you just put the plug in after the fermentation trap in ?
I use the fermentation traps when proofing dough.

Did the jars come with the holes, plugs, and fermentation traps ?
And do you just put the plug in after the fermentation trap in ?
I use the fermentation traps when proofing dough.
These came with the hole already in the lid. And with the gaskets, and air lock.
This is what I started out with. Jars not included.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I'm in for the ride Steve! I'll be interested to see your thoughts on mango flavor with it being fermented. Kroger around here in Ohio head had habs for $3.99 / lbs for a few weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: Steve H
I'm in for the ride Steve! I'll be interested to see your thoughts on mango flavor with it being fermented. Kroger around here in Ohio head had habs for $3.99 / lbs for a few weeks.
Did you ferment the mango with your batch? I though you did.

Reactions: clifish
Since I do sugar free I used ooflavors mango in the post process. From what I read you will get a more pronounced fruit flavor adding it post ferment but many do pre. Truly interested in what you think of it.
I did forget that you did it this way. I'll let you know the results.

Reactions: jcam222
What do you think about this fermentation kit ? How does it differ from the one linked above ?

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Ferment...3afc80147d1d9&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
I have some of those" "burping" lids as well. They are ok as well. Though, some have reported that they've had issues with the seal closing fully after the CO2 escapes. I haven't had that issue yet. The nice thing about these as you don't have to worry about the water evaporating from the airlocks.

Reactions: jcam222
I have some of those" "burping" lids as well. They are ok as well. Though, some have reported that they've had issues with the seal closing fully after the CO2 escapes. I haven't had that issue yet. The nice thing about these as you don't have to worry about the water evaporating from the airlocks.
I may try those at some point. Biggest plus to me is the ability to suck out most of the O2 right away instead of waiting for CO2 to displace it.

Well, I believe I'll buy the kit you started with .

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky