Habanero mango hot sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I find that even 100% habanero ferments are not super hot for my tastes. Diluted further with fruit in the solid portion id imagine that makes it even milder. I don't think the PH level itself makes it milder but I can't say that for sure. I will say I've never got a ferment with a PH as low as 2.6. That's as shelf stable as can be.
As I mentioned above, I suspect the sweet peaches I used really amped up the sugar in the mash and the lactobaccili just loved it and produced a lot of lactic acid. The sourness simply dominates the flavor of the sauce. There is very little residual "peach" flavor either.

Regarding heat, I like the flavor and heat of habaneros but I managed to make a batch of mash a few years back with a large variety of peppers. I basically went to the grocery store in the fall when selections were good and bought handfuls of everything that looked good that had some decent heat; e.g., no green peppers. They also didn't have anything hotter than habaneros -- no ghost, carolina reapers, etc. The resulting mash was not super hot, but it was pretty spicy and had a really good flavor profile. You could taste a bit of many of the included peppers. I've been unable to duplicate that profile but I keep trying.

I fermented the mash for a couple months and found that I was really not happy with the flavor. I lost track of the individual pepper flavors and the flavor was dominated by the lactic acid. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I've been trying to figure out how to maintain the flavor profile of the "fresh" mash and enjoy the benefits of fermentation. I suspect I'm on a fool's errand, but it's fun, so I'll keep going.

Reactions: jcam222
As I mentioned above, I suspect the sweet peaches I used really amped up the sugar in the mash and the lactobaccili just loved it and produced a lot of lactic acid. The sourness simply dominates the flavor of the sauce. There is very little residual "peach" flavor either.

Regarding heat, I like the flavor and heat of habaneros but I managed to make a batch of mash a few years back with a large variety of peppers. I basically went to the grocery store in the fall when selections were good and bought handfuls of everything that looked good that had some decent heat; e.g., no green peppers. They also didn't have anything hotter than habaneros -- no ghost, carolina reapers, etc. The resulting mash was not super hot, but it was pretty spicy and had a really good flavor profile. You could taste a bit of many of the included peppers. I've been unable to duplicate that profile but I keep trying.

I fermented the mash for a couple months and found that I was really not happy with the flavor. I lost track of the individual pepper flavors and the flavor was dominated by the lactic acid. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I've been trying to figure out how to maintain the flavor profile of the "fresh" mash and enjoy the benefits of fermentation. I suspect I'm on a fool's errand, but it's fun, so I'll keep going.
I made one last year from the end of a friend's pepper garden. It was a mix of mild and superhots. One of my favs ever and no chance I can duplicate it. I have a bottle left im reserving for a special occasion.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
I made one last year from the end of a friend's pepper garden. It was a mix of mild and superhots. One of my favs ever and no chance I can duplicate it. I have a bottle left im reserving for a special occasion.
Jeff when you want to add fruit flavor do you add real fruit or some low carb flavoring

It was mild. But there. My next batch will get the mangos added after the ferment.
Did you get any sweetness from the mangos added pre-ferment? As I mentioned before, I've added peaches to a ferment and the result was a very "muted" peach flavor with no peach sweetness and a whole lot of sour from the added lactic acid produced.

Did you get any sweetness from the mangos added pre-ferment? As I mentioned before, I've added peaches to a ferment and the result was a very "muted" peach flavor with no peach sweetness and a whole lot of sour from the added lactic acid produced.
Pretty much the same as yours with peaches.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
I was at Walmart earlier and these just jumped into the cart when my wife wasn't looking. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

fermenting_jars.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Reading this thread made me pick up a bottle of peach habanero from bucee's will give that a whirl, I normally love the flavor of habs but have been lit up by several so hoping this will be a mild batch lol. have learned to not experiment on a work night lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky