Gumbo time! Chicken and Andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All!

A week or so ago I had a craving and made a note on my desk that simply read "gumbo". Later that evening my GF said "I feel like we should make gumbo". Yup, that happened and so I had to make it happen. A day or so later the local grocery flyers came out: $0.99/lb for chicken thighs (and legs and whole fryers). So last Sunday I smoked up a big batch of thighs (for the gumbo and a couple to just eat) and legs (just to eat). I pulled the gumbo thighs off the smoker and had to rip off a chunk for a taste and - oh crap - Houston we have a problem... I used too sweet a rub... The flavor was just fine, they were tasty, but it was not a flavor profile that was going to meld well in my gumbo

Fast forward a couple days, I bought a whole 5lb fryer and brined it o/n. Rinsed and dried, hit with some olive oil then a Cajun style low salt rub I had made up to smoke some turkey legs a while ago. And I shoved a 1/2 lemon in the cavity just because I felt like it ;) On the smoker at 250°F for about 4.5hrs. ITs 165°F in the breast and low 170s in the thigh. Ripped off a wing - and yum! This was a flavor that can go in the gumbo (actually I kinda wanted to skip the gumbo and just chow down on the bird ). Let it cool a couple minutes then foiled it and set in the oven on "warm" until I needed it.

20200115_122506.jpg

20200115_161613.jpg

To start the gumbo base, I heated up a couple TBSPs of bacon grease in my dutch oven and browned ~1lb of Andouille and 1lb of smoked kielbasa along with ~3oz tasso I had pulled out of the freezer. I then added 1C of veggie oil and got it hot, my GF then started stitting, and I started adding 1C of flour to make the roux. Probably took 10-15min to get it to the nice chocolate brown color I wanted. Turned down heat and added ~2C diced onion and ~1C each celery and green pepper along with another ~3oz tasso. Cooked that about 5min then added ~1TBSP Creole seasoning and cooked another 5min until veggies were soft then added 1 heaping TBSP minced garlic and cooked a couple min more.

20200115_172525.jpg

20200115_174826.jpg

Added 2QT chicken stock and another 1 TBSP seasoning and brought to a simmer, then tossed in all the sausage and brought to a boil for ~15min, skimming fat every now and then. I also added ~1TBSP fresh lemon thyme. Meanwhile I pulled the chicken and after the fat skimming tossed that in the pot too along with another 1C onion and 0.5C each celery and green pepper. Turned down to a simmer and added ~0.5C water, covered lightly and let go for ~45min stirring occasionally. Did a little taste now and then and adjusted with a little more seasoning and salt. Meanwhile made some brown rice to serve over and topped with a little fresh green onion. Overall turned out great. Maybe not the best I've ever had but pretty darn good :emoji_blush: - And not bad for my first attempt :emoji_wink: Thanks for looking!

20200115_191919.jpg

20200115_193337.jpg

1579304731915.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a good meal for this single digit weather we're experiencing. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks fantastic . Awesome job , and points for trussing the chicken .
I shoved a 1/2 lemon in the cavity just because I felt like it ;)
If you were looking for some lemon flavor , I've been adding lemon extract to a gallon of Pop's brine . About 1/2 teaspoon .

Awesome sure could use a bowl of that.

Warren
Thanks!
Looks like a good meal for this single digit weather we're experiencing. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris
It was nice the day I made it, not so great now... might go have some ;)

That looks fantastic . Awesome job , and points for trussing the chicken .

If you were looking for some lemon flavor , I've been adding lemon extract to a gallon of Pop's brine . About 1/2 teaspoon .

Thanks Chop! I just tossed it in for some sort of aromatic but I'll keep the extract in mind.

I'd eat 2 bowls of that! Gumbo=good
Thanks! Might go have some, cold and snowing right now.

I had to order from Amazon. Spokane WA. didn't have any in stock, even in the natural food stores. I use it more for flavor than thickening so to me it isn't Gumbo without file.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky