Growing Mushrooms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
I have always been interested in home grown mushrooms. Every once in a while I come across a interesting video on how to do it. This one you can scale it from small to a commercial farm.
Don't think I would ever do large scale but nice to know it can be done.
The guy in the white shirt I am not sure what kind of mushrooms he has been growing as sometimes he reminds me of Cheech & Chong LOL

Interesting. I couldn't make it through the whole video. Stopped when they went to the commercial scaling, but their voices and mannerisms were driving me crazy. I'm betting they grow and eat some of them funny shrooms while they're at it
🍄:emoji_mushroom:🍄

Show me it works with morels and I'm in.
I looked into kits for inside morels but there is a lot to it and if do everything right still only a 40% of getting them. I still trying to get a second crop from the same side of my mushroom kit. Give it another week than go to the back.

Sheep’s head aka Hen of the woods August- Nov. Morels April-May. Best year was when my buds apple, peach farm cut and dug out of a 5 acre parcel of old peach trees and stumps.. Hundreds of morels the following spring.

Late mushrooms are the bomb. Don’t get me wrong, I love morels, but oysters, chanterelles and Bolets are better.
Toss in a fresh puffball or a hen of the woods, and you’re golden.
If you’re good, ink caps and other easily misidentified fungi are abundant (and really tasty) but not for beginners.

Reactions: LakeErieSMKR
Late mushrooms are the bomb. Don’t get me wrong, I love morels, but oysters, chanterelles and Bolets are better.
Toss in a fresh puffball or a hen of the woods, and you’re golden.
If you’re good, ink caps and other easily misidentified fungi are abundant (and really tasty) but not for beginners.
Wintertime, wood ears are ludicorously easy to find as are black fungi.

I have always been interested in home grown mushrooms. Every once in a while I come across a interesting video on how to do it. This one you can scale it from small to a commercial farm.
Don't think I would ever do large scale but nice to know it can be done.
The guy in the white shirt I am not sure what kind of mushrooms he has been growing as sometimes he reminds me of Cheech & Chong LOL

I'm wondering if it is possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Anyone tried this before or had any success in doing so.. It is something that I've been thinking about for a while now and am keen to know more about. Cheers!

I'm wondering if it is possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Anyone tried this before or had any success in doing so.. It is something that I've been thinking about for a while now and am keen to know more about. Cheers!
Should work, as long as it has been pasteurized prior to innoculation with the mushroom spores.

A bunch of my sketchy friends back in the 70’s used to keep their psilosibes alive on steamed rice. (I prefer my mushrooms to be associated with trees and umami)

Agree with this.., oyster mushrooms are known for their relatively straightforward cultivation process. Have you had personal experience growing them?
I have a number of patches around the upper Midwest where there are appropriate populations (usually can harvest from the same trees for a few years before something else starts growing and screwing up the mycelium).
I am given to understand that a major staple for ex-austrohungarian Europe was oysters which had been inoculated on appropriate dead trees.
My experience is that it never really turns on until there’s a frost and some subsequent wet 50f+ weather. Once that happens, I will routinely find really nice edible mushrooms even after there’s a bit of snow on the ground. After that, Black Fungus and Wood Ears are pervasive, simple to identify, and available all winter for anyone who is willing to walk around in the woods looking down.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky