Grinding twice? Why & When!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I'm starting my trip into the world of sausage!

So, one of the more elusive topics I've looked into is grinding twice.  Is there a rule of thumb?  Should it be done only if going down to a small plate size. 1/8" etc?  Or grind twice for any plate size changes? 

Another issue is when to season?  After all grinding or before?  I get that if I use pink salt I would mix that w/water and mix in after grinding.

And is beer interchangeable with water @ 1 to 1?   Or is there a max beer amount to lbs. of mix?

I hope to start posting pics prior to Christmas.  I have just motorized a #22 and am rejuvenating an Enterprise #25.

Can't wait!  Thanks

I'm starting my trip into the world of sausage!
So, one of the more elusive topics I've looked into is grinding twice.  Is there a rule of thumb?  Should it be done only if going down to a small plate size. 1/8" etc?  Or grind twice for any plate size changes? 
Another issue is when to season?  After all grinding or before?  I get that if I use pink salt I would mix that w/water and mix in after grinding.
And is beer interchangeable with water @ 1 to 1?   Or is there a max beer amount to lbs. of mix?
I hope to start posting pics prior to Christmas.  I have just motorized a #22 and am rejuvenating an Enterprise #25.
Can't wait!  Thanks

Welcome to the madness!

Typically grinding twice is to get close to emulsified, but sometimes it's to prep the meat for the small plate. Some grinders don't like you you try and go straight to the 1/8. Yours will probably be fine.

Some season and add cure after they chunk up the meat and then grind it all in together, others add the seasoning and cure to a liquid and pour it in while mixing.

Beer and wine can be used, but I hesitate to say it's a 1:1 ratio as water. Experimentation will be your guide here unless you're using a known recipe from a known source.

LOTS of sausage making knowledge in this group, feel free to ask questions.

What Cranky said. Twice grind gives you a better bind and texture. It doesn't have to be just for grinding smaller on the second pass. As for pink salt, mix it with the salt and toss it with the chunked meat the night before for a better bind.

Get ready for lots of personal feeling and opinions on making sausage, and then find your own way!

Keep in mind not all sausage needs to be double ground, or even need to "bind".

Many of the sausages I prefer are hand cut, with a small portion of course ground meat added to help "bind" it together.

Even our breakfast sausage we only do a course grind on.

I have been only making sausage for a couple of years now, but like everything else, I do it obsessively.  I never double grind anything and get good, consistent results. Tried it when I was first starting but didn't see the actual benefit.   Not saying that there is anything bad about it, I just don't see the necessity of it.  To me, the most important things I have learned about sausage making are:

1.  Cube up your meat and then stick it on a sheet pan in the freezer until partially frozen before grinding.

2.  Keep everything clean and cold throughout the whole process

3.  The texture of the final product depends greatly on the mixing.  I usually mix 2-3 minutes until the meat gets really tacky/sticky.  I do the palm of your hand test.  Stick a breakfast sausage sized patty to your palm, face your palm down and the meat should stick without falling off your hand.  I do a couple of karate chops to make sure its really sticky!

4.  Soak your casings for a few days before stuffing.  Will make it easier to get them on the stuffing tube and less prone to blow outs.

Can't wait to see some of your creations! Have fun with the new hobby...soon you'll be making all your favorite dishes into sausage!

-Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky