Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
The wife and I spent a fabulous weekend down at the beach. Never would know that it is January here. Two days of 65°-70° at the beach and going to be nearly 70° today at home. While we were on the beach playing around we talked a bit about how we grind our own meat and that in order to do more, we really need something better than the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment. So if a new grinder showed up at the door steps I wouldn't be in to much trouble! I have been looking at LEM, and coastal brands. Both I can get locally, and both are comparably priced. My main question I guess is would the #8 be good enough or is the #12 a more logical choice?

Haystack Rock Pacific City Oregon

Dunes separating the Nestucca River from Ocean, Pacific City Oregon

Beachy games and Libations!

Beach looks great, new grinder do you do more then 5#s at a time? Getting ready for 20"s of snow here.YUK

Check the size of the throat to see how small you have to chunk the meat...   I guess if you are using a KA grinder, size doesn't matter much huh ???

I could see myself doing anywhere from 5-20 pounds at a time. Once or two times a month maybe.

Yeah I can cut the meat to whatever size needed that's not a big issue at all.

I do want to make sure whatever I get can handle a large plate for course grinding.

Is the #8 your looking at the aluminum or the stainless. If you are looking at the stainless I would go ahead and look at the #12 for the difference in price. Do you think you will ever want to add attachments?

Happy smoken.

David
Leaning towards the stainless. I don't see myself adding any attachments, just various plate diameters.

Check the plate hole sizes...  I think the #8 doesn't have a plate with large holes...   you might have to go with the #12...    I use the largest plate on my #12 grinder a lot...    mixed in with the middle plate for sausage that has tooth texture when you take a bite...   I'm not one for fine textured sausage...  but that's me...

http://www.sausagemaker.com/60840andnbsp12platefor8grinder.aspx

Last edited:
Check the plate hole sizes...  I think the #8 doesn't have a plate with large holes...   you might have to go with the #12...    I use the largest plate on my #12 grinder a lot...    mixed in with the middle plate for sausage that has tooth texture when you take a bite...   I'm not one for fine textured sausage...  but that's me...

Looking at the LEM site it appears you can get up to 1/2" for the eight. I would probably use that large. Definitely 3/8" for linguica.

I could see myself doing anywhere from 5-20 pounds at a time. Once or two times a month maybe.

Yeah I can cut the meat to whatever size needed that's not a big issue at all.

I do want to make sure whatever I get can handle a large plate for course grinding.
You looking at an electric or manual grinder? Either way I would probably go with the #8 if you can get the plates you want. I bought a #5 and wish I had gone bigger.

DS, I have the cabelas 3/4 hp grinder and man there is no stopping it. Love it I don't know what that would convert to the LEM thou. Good luck and hey by they way YOUR Nails look good Painted LOLOLOLOLOL HAAAAAAA ( I Know you will SAY they are the mrs but we all know better).

Looks like good times at the beach, what a way to smooth her over before asking the question  
laugh1.gif
  Let us know what you get. Nice beverages also. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

DS, I have the cabelas 3/4 hp grinder and man there is no stopping it. Love it I don't know what that would convert to the LEM thou. Good luck and hey by they way YOUR Nails look good Painted LOLOLOLOLOL HAAAAAAA ( I Know you will SAY they are the mrs but we all know better).

Looks like good times at the beach, what a way to smooth her over before asking the question  
laugh1.gif

DS
You may laugh but my youngest boy went through a phase where he felt the need to paint all of our toenails...

It appears that the LEM #12 is a .75 hp. The #8 is .35 hp. The Coastal brand appears to be the same. I'm surprised that Bend doesn't have a Cabelas yet.

The weather was crazy nice down there! We found a great little motel too that we will be going to again. Next time we will be taking our kayaks so we can explore the Nestucca bay and estuary a bit. I'd also like to take a duel sport with me. First though I need to buy one!

You may laugh but my youngest boy went through a phase where he felt the need to paint all of our toenails...

It appears that the LEM #12 is a .75 hp. The #8 is .35 hp. The Coastal brand appears to be the same. I'm surprised that Bend doesn't have a Cabelas yet.

The weather was crazy nice down there! We found a great little motel too that we will be going to again. Next time we will be taking our kayaks so we can explore the Nestucca bay and estuary a bit. I'd also like to take a duel sport with me. First though I need to buy one!
No laughing,, my daughter did the same,,, Everyones nails,,,,,,felt damn sorry for our two weener dogs too. 

Sounds like you had fun. - Nice  -  Yep weather here is crazy too. just wondering what we are in for next. 

DS

laugh1.gif

DS
That model is a #12.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky