Grilling Top Loin Bone-in NY Strip Steak????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2019
Grand Junction, Colorado
What is the best way to grill NY strip. I have a Char-Broil Big Easy SRG.

With this SRG, (I haven't done any smoking in it yet) I have grilled such meats as Pork Loin Chops (Brined and rubbed) that were moist and tender, Pork Rib Chops that would rival nearly any steak, Burgers (Of Course), and chicken Tenderloin (with a little apple wood smoke for flavor). but I have not grilled a steak.

Any recipes would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Reverse Sear. Nice and slow up until 10ish degrees below what you want your final to be, and then ripping hot sear to finish it. I personally don't marinate/inject/sauce any steaks. Just meat, heat, and seasoning. As for my seasoning it really depends on the day. Montreal is a very popular choice for steaks, I have used my rub for doing steaks, and sometimes it's just plain old S&P or SPOG.

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Reverse Sear. Nice and slow up until 10ish degrees below what you want your final to be, and then ripping hot sear to finish it. I personally don't marinate/inject/sauce any steaks. Just meat, heat, and seasoning. As for my seasoning it really depends on the day. Montreal is a very popular choice for steaks, I have used my rub for doing steaks, and sometimes it's just plain old S&P or SPOG.

This!

I wouldn't over cook them, ny strips tend to be on the lean side and can dry, as said above you can't go wrong with a reverse sear. I like a little salt, pepper and garlic powder on mine.

Thanks all!! I had to look up reverse sear!

I will be doing my steaks this Friday. SmokerJim, I too like just salt, pepper, and garlic powder on mine. I was considering using some of Jeff's Original Rub, but the wife talked me out of it.

why wait until the end I would through in in the beginning, after the steaks are almost done not sure how much smoke flavor they would take my opinion.

Reactions: Burly567
I would use what ever you around, the steaks won't be on there that long to really take on a lot of smoke

It's really personal preference. I like stronger smoke flavors on BBQ meats, but on a steak, little to none.

I like to put my steaks in the freezer and get them to around 30-32F, then in the smoker to get them up to your target temp, then onto a screaming hot grill or pan for the sear. Starting from cold keeps them in the smoke longer, which I like. I have an electric smoker which makes this easy but you could also use indirect heat with smoke and then move to the hot side to sear.

Wow!! I really forgot how helpful all the folks here are!!

I came around a few years ago, right after I got my Char-broil Big Easy SRG, but I got kind of lax with it for a while. Now the wife has me on it 2-3 days a week!!

I need to break down and try to smoke something in it (I could try smoking something while I'm on yet...). I really want to try some Apple wood smoked chicken quarters. They don't look to awfully complicated.

chicken is easy, just be mindful though that chicken will take on a lot of smoke so you don't need hours in the smoke, better off at high temps to get the skin crispy or it will be like rubber, you could smoke until you get close to finish then through it on a hot grill or in the oven to crisp it up. ribs are quite easy also, lots of threads on here about both, check out bearcarvers stepbysteps, lots of good ideas with very detailed instructions,

I have recently been using my MES and Amazen set up to smoke steaks reverse sear.

My boys and I think they are the best I've done to date. I season with Camp mix and a touch of Lawrys. I reverse sear In my MES set around 175 I smoke with Pit Master Pellets about 30-40 minutes of light smoke. Usually, they are in there for about an hour. I pull the steaks when they hit an IT around 115. I then transfer to a Cast iron skillet on my Weber Genesis on high. I use a little clarified butter, ghee, in the skillet and sear them until my mouth starts watering. :-)

Let them sit a few minutes and dig in.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky