Grilling ribs on open fire with swinging grate.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Thought I would raise my swinging grill to produce a lower heat and use the burning wood of the open fire to smoke the ribs. Unlike a smoker, there is no lid to contain the smoke around the meat. Also, the wood is burning freely and is not in an oxygen controlled environment. Still, there was a nice light smokey flavor after 1-3/4 h. Perhaps more interesting was the roasting flavors from direct heat.

Ribs dusted lightly with salt, pepper, chipotle and then overnight in fridge.
Oak fire burned down 1+ hours, stoked as needed during cook.
Ribs suspended about 18" over fire. Hand thermometer read maybe 5-6 seconds, maybe 300-350 ish F?
Ribs turned over at 15 and 30 minutes, then spritz (cider vinegar/water/worcy) and flip every 10 min. Cooked total of 1-3/4 hours then wrapped in foil.
Oh, did I mention it was a rack of goat ribs? Goat ribs are long and skinny, and not as much meat.
Grate lowered close to coals to grill (goat) tenderloin.

P1030154.jpg

P1030163.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030178.jpg

IMG_6857.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking ribs. Open fire cooking produces some of the best flavor cooks.
Do open fire cooks a lot I mean that is what our long ago ancestors taught us.

Warren

Great looking ribs. Open fire cooking produces some of the best flavor cooks.
Do open fire cooks a lot I mean that is what our long ago ancestors taught us.

Warren

I usually cook ribs in the smoker. But the flavor from cooking over open fire seems to have more complexity. Maybe from roasting effect of direct heat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky