Grilling... Propane vs coals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
I've been using a Weber Genesis silver BBQ for about 6 years or so. I just started smoking with a charcoal smoker, I have been using a propane vertical up til now (still going to use it). So since i have coal on hand, i was wondering if any of you had a preference when grilling?

Back when i was a kid, my dad used to grill with charcoal, then got a propane. For grilling steaks and burgers, does the fuel you use really change the taste of the food your grilling? Or should I just stick with propane, and not waste my time grilling with coals?

Just wondering if any of you have the ability to do it both ways, can you tell the difference?

Thanks

Joe

I have used both propane and charcoal/lump charcoal. I prefer the lump the best. It burns much hotter and little ash..

That is how i roll...............
roflmao.gif

Yeah... charcoal does give a great flavor... but propane is easier. I have a charcoal smoker (WSM), so I stuck with the same fuel source for grilling, but there are times I do miss turning a valve and hitting the igniter button.

grilling_smilie.gif

I have a Weber kettle and my dad has a gasser.  For things like burgers, dogs, and stuff that doesn't spend alot of time on the grill, I think there isn't really that much difference.  But for anything that's going to spend some time on the grill to cook with indirect heat, I think charcoal is vastly superior in terms of taste.  I guess I should probably do an actual side-by-side test sometime...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky