Grilled Pork Tenderloin w/ homemade Pesto

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I have two thriving basil plants that needed a trim. Figured it would be a good time to make homemade pesto.

There was also a pork tenderloin sitting in the fridge from last week that I never got around to smoking...so let’s combine the two.

Here’s what I trimmed off
8654EC2C-B2BF-4C33-A83B-B2619D03F2CA.jpeg

Once the leaves were trimmed off, I had 3 cups.

Here’s how I made the pesto recipe:

3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1tsp. Salt
1tsp. Black pepper
1/4 cup chopped pecans* optional
Lemon juice

*Traditionally pesto is made with Pine nuts, which are expensive. Didn’t have them...didn’t need them. You could also substitute chopped walnuts or pecans. I had every intention of making this without nuts, but I found pecans in the cabinet so I just used those.

Add basil, garlic, cheese, nuts, salt and pepper to a food processor/blender
BB454C98-1EF2-4681-9F3A-B881F5A14B70.jpeg

Pulse until coarsely chopped
6E9B6E6E-694F-4CC4-B486-44750603CF7D.jpeg

Next, pour in olive oil while blending and blend until smooth and emulsified. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice to taste. I used 1/2 a lemon to brighten up the pesto.

310D9099-EDD1-432F-A951-63F3CD2BD6C6.jpeg

For the pork tenderloin, I just marinated in store-brand Italian dressing and then grilled them up alongside some fresh zucchini. I pulled the pork tenderloin off the grill at 140F.

The zucchini was sprayed with olive oil and then salt and pepper, once the zucchini were off the grill, I grated fresh parmesan on them.
6BBE2AD1-3AEC-44A1-BB46-0393C3BBF440.jpeg

Here’s the money shot, we also had a side of couscous.
47888B08-9BF1-4648-A8DF-776E0682AD00.jpeg

The next night for dinner, I was flying solo so I used the leftover pesto with some angel hair pasta. Pesto doesn’t do so well cooked, so it’s best to mix it in after you cook your pasta. Add a little pasta water to help adhere the pesto to the thin angel hair.
48966498-76D6-403C-BAB4-7F9DD3BCDAA4.jpeg

Pesto also freezes well. If not using within a day, you could freeze in ice cube trays and then add cubes and thaw into cooked pasta for a quick weekday meal.

Thanks for looking,

Xray

Oh hell yeah! After your chimchurri and corn recipes guess I’m gonna have to add the pesto one in there too! Looks great points in the cook!

Reactions: xray
Excellent looking meal Xray. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Joe that looks real tasty I make my own pesto no nuts in mine,I have friends an family with allergies
Richie

Nothing like homemade pesto Xray. Plate shots look awesome!

Thank you! It’s hard to beat homemade. I just can’t do the stuff in the jar anymore.

Oh hell yeah! After your chimchurri and corn recipes guess I’m gonna have to add the pesto one in there too! Looks great points in the cook!

Thanks for the like, I appreciate it! If you make a bunch be sure to freeze some. The recipe posted made 1 cup once it was all blended.

Excellent looking meal Xray. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris and thanks for the point!

Joe that looks real tasty I make my own pesto no nuts in mine,I have friends an family with allergies
Richie

Thanks Richie and thank you for the point, I appreciate it.

I had all the ingredients and intentions to make it without nuts. My wife is big into baking so I thought I would check the cabinet to see if she had walnuts, but there were pecans. I was surprised because I sure don’t remember a pecan pie waiting for me! Lol, so I used them in the pesto and ate the rest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky