Gril and smoker combination

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I have a smoke house, a gas grill and a propane smoker. I am happy with the smokehouse for larger smoking jobs with deer and bologna and stuff. I am happy with the grill but I would like to have wood fired tastes added to it. No, I do not wish to buy Amazin. The propane smoker just isnt adjustable enough for low temps.

I wold like to get a grill that can gas grill for quick stuff like burgers and dogs and be able to have a wood fire side car or something similar. I tried looking on line and must be using the wrong search terms or something. I have considered fabbing a metal side car for my charbroil grill, but haven't bothered with it yet and wanted to see what they make for new stuff.

EDIT, thinking a side fire box to burn cherry splits in to heat and smoke the grill and still use it for gas grilling.

Last edited:
Several manufacturer's make a Duo or dual-fuel like you are describing: Chargriller, Smoke Hollow, even Weber and many more. Most of them don't have a very big fire chamber and are more sized for charcoal/chunks. But they also have a gas side. I cant remember seeing one that was had a real bigger sized stick burner firebox. Me personally, I like the charcoal and wood chunk method for various reasons. My brother has one that I have played with a bit. Its actually pretty nice.

See, this really is not what I want. I do not want a gas grill next to a charcoal grill with a side charcoal grill. I want one large gas grill with a side fire box that I can burn a full cherry wood fire to smoke/cook wood in the from the side.

I'm starting to feel like its project time for an addition of a side car to the gas grill.

Hey Rob.... so you want to add a firebox to your grill ??? how big a FB ??? How long do you want the wood to last ?? Do you want it to provide all the heat ???? ... (probably, because flame consumes smoke)

Pitboss has a new combo grill charcoal electric smoker out that may be a good unit

Mike, I didn't see that on their site and I want gas also. Most of the doubles are just too small on each side.

Dave, yes, I am about to have an over abundance of wood. Like a mini smokehouse I can crank hot for turkeys and chickens cooked over a real fire. I like full, thickly smoked old school meat. I am not sure I can have both together as the venting on the gas grill might be too much. I am also considering rebuilding the fire box on my smoke house to build the heat release into it and build a second layer as in an over over top the fire box.The metal black pipe just rusts each year and will eventually be a problem.

I have considered building a wood fired smoker, but don't have a mig welder and my stick only likes 1/8" thick metal. Then I still don;t have both.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky